Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
And not done yet...

My daughter and SIL moved into a new house in Aug and they have 2 closets in the hallway. She wanted barn doors, and it makes sense since its a narrow hallway.

Went to lumber yard this morning in town. Closed. WTF. Ran a half hour to Home Despot and spent $275 on lumber. 馃槻 But the doors are odd sized so needed custom built.

Got home and started cutting the framework. First door went well, but my kingdom for a compound miter saw! Had to use a board and clamps to get square cuts. Second frame went OK the front, got to the back and instead of cutting 38" I cut the boards at 36. Dumbass. Sent Sue for a board and got them to cut the pieces I needed so at least they are square now.

Kept chugging along, didn't lose any fingers with the chop saw or the router table.馃檪 Got the first door done about the time Sue got home. I made it to the last 2 boards and the freaking air compressor crapped out. Got the neighbor's, but his leaks and won't hold enough pressure to run the brad nailer.

Mom is bringing her compressor up tomorrow so I can finish and install the hardware. We plan to run them down and install them tomorrow if it doesn't get icy.

Here's the first door.

And the second. Have to nail the middle and top board yet. Not bad for limited skills and without proper tools.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #5
I have the rail hardware. Needed that to determine door length. I hope I got it right. If not, well just take a lil off the bottom. LOL

Not sure what they are going to do, probably a dark stain. I'd choose white paint myself. Halway is dark enough. I told them I'd build them but THEY have to finish them. Probably take all summer for them to decide.馃檮

Registered
Nice job, Charlie! Looks really good. As for the saw, I have an older Craftsman compound miter that I'd have been happy to lend out, but we're several hundred miles from one another. 馃槙 As for the color, I'm seeing the diagonal panels in white and the frame pieces in something like a dark green or a red. Maybe make stencils and do antique-look Amish hex signs on that middle cross piece, kind of like this.

Registered
Charlie that's really nice work. I think it either needs a light stain or white paint. The light stain would show the grain better.

Administrator
Looks really good Charlie, I would try to talk them into light stain that kind of matches hallway paint and a little darker stain for the outside trim. I have a Makita miter saw, not a compound miter, that I would give you if you want to come get it. It would probably be cheaper to just go buy a good saw. I got a 12 inch Hatachi compound miter and it has paid for itself at least twice over, and I never used it commercially. I used to own a radial arm saw and I would not take one if you tried to give it to me now. Wish I had the compound miter when I was doing finish trim work, many years ago.

Registered
Nicely done!

Registered
I am impressed, very much so. Great work ! !

Registered
Got them hung. A few little snafus. I think they'll go with a light stain to show the grain of the wood. They do look pretty nice

Looks great! Are you planning to varnish the doors? or will you paint? I think clear varnish will look better. It is simply a crime to paint over this drawing on wood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts