Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dean mentioned this morning that he was going to brand more calves today. He and his crew took some nice photos....right out of a Western movie. Here they are early on, just getting ready to start

Dean on the left and the infamous Boss Man on the right hard at work on a captive calf.

Running the cows through the metal corrals for vaccinations.

I don't know exactly what you call this thing that holds the calf for the branding iron, but it's a Great invention.

These folks do their jobs with skill and efficency. All that metal contains the cattle so no one will be injured.

I have some cows i call Damcows. But I'm not really a Cowboy, I don't even have a Hat and rarely wear Wranglers anymore...just ******* Camo.
This is an impressive operation that moves a lot of cattle through the process safely and quickly. This is a great setup and i would like to have one similiar, but I'm too old and have too much arthritis to sink that much of an investment anymore.
I tell you one thing that we both have in common: Cattle are dangerous and can hurt you bad in a flash, usually by accident rather than intention.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Thanks JR!
That one of the calf table came out good. That table is probably older than you are:D. There are several of those around on old ranches. There will probably be a new shiny one next year, that one has seen much better days.
As for being cowboys, we're not. A lot of places still rope and drag the calves to the fire to be branded, be we'd be days doing a job like yesterday, not good with a rope at all!
Thanks again.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the pictures brought back good memories.We ran about 300 head of beef till my Dads passing I sold them all and went cash crop only(dont miss those damn cows one bit).Been turning dirt all weekend sure smells better than those cows.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are reminders that my cowboy days as a kid included a Hopalong Cassidy cap gun rig...and of God's love for kids...and cows, and the men that care for them. He has that mix right.

Best.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Me 2! Really enjoyed seeing that operation. I never saw branding done except in movies - the lasso and drag 'em to the fire pit bit.

Thanks 4 sharing!

P.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Reminds me of my Uncle spraying for pink eye. He had about 25 head in a small barn area. Fed'em some "chop", closed the door and walked among them spraying the eyes best he could. Purple in color. I was maybe 15.
He had me on the outside w a rattle can trying to catch one in range now and then while he circulated inside. He got bounced around a bit, for sure.

Thanks for the pix. One of these days.....maybe drop in on you Dean? I make a good tool toter and not so silent watcher.... 😉 Always like to see new things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.