Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
That’s almost a trick question. I have seen or heard about runners with almost every caliber out there.
I believe it is as much a bullet thing as it is a caliber. Bullet placement is a must as well. Buddy shot one some years back with a 6mmAI, pretty much eviscerated it. Still went close to a half mile dragging entrails.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Over the last fifty years, I’ve shot em
with the 22-250 & the 220 Swift.
Since Sierra has come out with a
70 gr BlitzKing in 25 caliber, I’m going
to give that bullet a chance in the 257 Roberts.
I also like the Speer 87 gr TNT in 25 cal.
I leave for a job in nov. to shoot coyotes.
Purty good cowboy wages plus a little
added for each scalp. 😉

///

·
Administrator
12,875 Posts
Want them real dead or trying to save pelts? Anything greater than 22 cal for dead. Anything less than 22 to save pelts. Lots of guys use 17 caliber centerfires, either 17 Rem or other 17 wildcats for fur friendly rounds. Use the search function and look for DAA's posts in here for some testimonials.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It is a trick question. There are several things and conditions that need to be considered to have a good hunt.
1.do you want to save fur or DRT
2. What is the hunt area like, is it hilly or flat;
Open ( short grass , long grass, sage brush,
maybe crop land)
3. Wooded ( Openly wooded, heavily wooded,
brush density)
4. How far do you intend to shoot. ( accurate
Shot placement is a critical factor ) (Also
Consider a rifle that YOU can accurately
shoot!
5. What caliber is best for the above factors to
be considered.
6. What bullet is best for the above conditions.

7. Are you walking/stalking, hunting from a
stand. If your calling it’s also a good idea
to have a shotgun loaded in BB or #4Buck.

A lot of things need to be considered in the above suggestions. But more importantly is how you are able to adjust to those condition or any variables that can/ and will occur. Don’t worry you will learn as you get more experience. Remember this! You don’t get to decide where or when the target gets in place.The target decide that offering, you need to be ready and able when it is offered.

Good Shooting and may you have a target rich environment. God Bless

·
Registered
165 Posts
.220 Swift is what I use, and 52grain A-max in front of IMR 4064.....in the past I have used a .243 & 60 grain Sierra HPs, .22 Hornet Ruger and the little 40grain Sierras, and a .25-06 & 90 grain Noslers....my son now has my old .25-06 & can't understand using anything else......first day he carried it when we called, I had a dud-fire on my .22H at 40 yards, (it was a neck-sizing-headspace problem) - so he whacked that one kind of up close - and another ran off we had not seen earlier, and he dropped it at a stepped off 265 yards. he decided it was a magic rifle. he might be right.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use a longer ? 25C ? Harris bipod, it's just the right height for me sitting Indian-style.
I can call with left hand, hold rifle in right hand on grip, and easily look through scope one handed, keep calling, track coyote's approach, and shoot one-handed.
Scope I have had the longest is my old ? 25-years-old Leupold 6x-18x-40mm.......if walking I have it on 6x......can still see well enough at 6x for running shots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over the last fifty years, I’ve shot em
with the 22-250 & the 220 Swift.
Since Sierra has come out with a
70 gr BlitzKing in 25 caliber, I’m going
to give that bullet a chance in the 257 Roberts.
I also like the Speer 87 gr TNT in 25 cal.
I leave for a job in nov. to shoot coyotes.
Purty good cowboy wages plus a little
added for each scalp. 😉

///
I've tried about 6 different caliber's and I'm believe that shot placement and being confident that your gun will do its job. I love precision instruments, and if they go boom that's even better. My problem is I've never shoot a group that was good e enough.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Whatever you have handy….I’ve killed them with 22LR and 338 Win Mag. I’ve called and shot them with Win 92 in 25-20 up to 264 Win Mag (my first center fire rifle and not too fur friendly), My go-to calling rifles now are 17 MK4, 223’s, and 6 Creed (All depending on guesstimated distances, wind, and mood I’m in).

·
Registered
624 Posts
If the wind isn't blowing too hard, I like to use my .17 Remington. In a 5 to 10 mph wind I'll take out the .204 Ruger. If the wind is wafting 10 to 15 mph, I usually use my .204 Ruger and 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings. I have also had good results in the .204 Ruger using the 32 gr. Hornady spire point bullets. This year, if I get well enough to go out after coyotes, I may try using my 20 VarTarg and 32 gr. SBK bullets. Some of the bullets I use are not made any longer, like the .172" 30 gr. Starke for my .17 Remington, but there is a fellow out in Idaho that bought Clint's dies and he does make bullets for the .17 caliber. For the .22-250 I like the 53 gr. V-Max and for the .243 I have used the 87 gr. Hornady bullets. Bullet placement is mighty important with most bullets, especially if you are planning on selling the fur. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A friend of mine use to use a 300 H&H. He wasn’t worried about shooting them for the fur. He just needed them to be dead by request of the owner of the deer hunting properties where my friend would hunt deer.

As for my rig, I’m using a custom Sako Vixan 14” barreled handgun in 6PPC with a discontinued Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet. I’m not hunting them in neck of the woods for fur. I’m trying to eliminate them. Coyotes are a pest where I live as they eat small pets, baby deer, and harass a rancher’s cattle just down the road from me who raises them for the meat market. A pack of coyotes killed two of his calves in the past. Another neighbor raises ducks. The Sierra 80 gr SSP bullets have a thin copper jacket that expands at handgun velocities. I use those bullets if the shot is 250-300 yards. For shots under 250 yards, I use Hornady 70 Spire Point which is another discontinued bullet.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

If I plan to set up and call them I use a 223. But I've shot them with several larger calibers if I was on a Deer stand and saw one. My last one was with a heavy barrel 300 WSM and was a 500 yard shot.

Like the others have said, it depends if you want to save the pelt or not. My 300 WSM is not fur friendly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts