Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only got three yesterday. Was a great day, but conditions were unusual and tricky. At some stands the wind was 10 - 20 mph and gusty, and at other stands there was hardly any wind at all.

Occasionally, one of us will stop to call one side of the road and the other will go a bit further and call the other side. The first coyote was obtained doing this. I crossed a fence and walked about 60 yds to a good stand. After 15 minutes of calling I had seen nothing so I gave up and headed back. After crossing the fence, I looked back and saw movement. Sure enough there was a late comer coyote, lasered at 258 yds. My .223 is zerod at 100 yds, so I rested it on a fence post, held high and nailed it with a solid lung shot. She didn't take a step.

The next (and last) two were taken at one stand. First coyote stopped at about 85 yds and I nailed with another lung shot. The second followed within a minute or two and came closer; Earl shotgunned it at about 45 yds.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting side note When skinning that first coyote, I couldn't get the hide to go further than the neck/ears. We both wrestled with it and applied mucho force. Wouldn't budge. I finally said to heck with it and backed my truck up to it and hooked on!

After getting the hide off, everything looked normal. Then I pulled the fur side out, and lo and behold, a wire snare was around it's neck! No wonder we had such a time getting it off! This coyote had been snared but broke the wire and was free and doing fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those are some nice looking coyotes. That one on the left sure has a nice white belly. Good job!
Skinning them right away sure helps doesn't it? What are prices like down there for put up coyotes?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard much yet about prices this season. But should know something within a month or so.

Last year, average was near $30.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Kentucky Coyotes

We have killed several really big ones; 50 pounds plus; this year and last year but everyone says they are worth Zilch. Tried to give a couple of really nice ones to a fur buyer but he said they would bring only a couple dollars...So we just dump them. I could get in to Selling them...make this even More fun. Guess the fur isn't thick enough here in the East. Come to think of it.....Our Coyotes are a lot Darker, and more Reddish Brown; some appear Black at first glance. But we do have an Albino runnig around here...I have not seen it yet but a lot of other people have.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good job and nice coyotes. What kind of weather do you have down there? Snow on the ground and no coat or not dressed very warm for winter? Not what I am used to. Darrel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wx and shotgun load

A coat was required - I just took mine off in preparation for skinning. It was probably in the low 40s. We've had some days in 30s, and some in the 40s and even low 50s lately. Probably a good bit warmer than MN winter weather! He he.

I use a 12 ga 3" mag load (Win Supreme) with copper plated #4 Buckshot. Many seem to prefer BB shot but I like #4 Buckshot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts