Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son just called and is on way to check-in at Elk City. He and partner have 8 coyotes for the day. Also said they lost 2 that were hit and missed 2. Hope he makes check-in on time (and safely)...roads VERY icy and slick.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Saw photos earlier today of road conditions - Not too good.

8 dogs is a good start - missing some to boot.

Prime conditions for calling but not fit more mankind I take it.

Not much better here in CO... single digits to -22 over most of the state and not due to warm up for a few days. Must be January in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Results are in.....

Tied for first with 8 coyotes, got beat in tie-breaker for heaviest coyote by 1#......:eek: ..... second place paid $3300. First was apprx. $4300. Now we all know what 1# of coyote is worth......

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bruce.

Glad to hear they made it back to Elk City safely.

Sorry to hear about that 1 pound, but it still better then last place.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not for sure how many teams

were entered this year. He and I won second last year in this one too. I figure from payout there were about 40+ teams. The calcutta gets pretty wild on some of the better known guys too.
It's a solid sheet of ice in the area this AM. We still have power here (thank goodness), but much of the state is without electricity. Looks like the folks in the SE part of the state are getting pounded the worst.
They say it is going to clear out this PM and then get colder for the rest of the week, till another icy one gets here just in time for next weekend.
Hope all of you guys can stay safe and WARM this week.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not yet for this one....

but here is a pic from last year's Woodward contest. Took 3rd in this one.
it's a "little cooler" :eek: outside right now

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Tell him Congratulations Bruce!

Tied for first with 8 coyotes, got beat in tie-breaker for heaviest coyote by 1#......:eek: ..... second place paid $3300. First was apprx. $4300. Now we all know what 1# of coyote is worth......
Thats a darn expensive pound of coyote flesh :D Demand they cut him open and inspect for fishing weights! :D :D

And btw, what was the heavy dogs weight??? 28 lbs is about avg out here in the low-lands of central calif.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
answers...

Yup...he shoots stoney point and dials the range....I am old-fashioned (hold over for elevation, etc.). That is a 22-243 (I reload RL22 and 80 grain Sierra's for him).....:eek: ....and he doesn't do a good job of returning brass... LOL...that boy doesn't do a good job of picking up after himself....Hey, he shot my reloads, maybe I deserve a cut....:D :D :D

Don't know the weight of coyotes involved yet. Didn't think to ask him. Last year the scales weren't real good....LOL...but at least they use the same scales for eveyone.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can't honestly remember on that one....

one of the Mike's for sure, Mike Bryant or Mike Luckett:confused:
He got that particular one from a friend of his, and I know the friend has used both of the Mike's for projects. I use Mike Bryant (closer) but I have a 22-250 AI (8 twist) that I traded for that Luckett built and it is a GREAT shooter. Both of those guys know what their doing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A cut?

Hey, he shot my reloads, maybe I deserve a cut....:D :D :D

Sounds like you did the hard work, he just pulls the trigger. :D

Kidding aside:

I have a Krieger barrel that I want to put on Sako Forester to make a 22-243 Middlestead. I have fallen for my 204 Ruger though and am having a hard time getting to that project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.