Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys need some help. We don't have many fox around here so don't have much experience w/them. Last week the owner of local pheasant preserve told me he had a fox at his place and wanted me to try and call him in for him. I went down there today and tried my limited bag of tricks but no takers. Very light breeze and temp about 12 degrees.I set up withthe wind in my face next to a combine by a tree grove and called for about 45min. I used a Haydels jackrabbit and cottontail distress, a tally-Ho, a Dakota-Yote sqeaker, and a Sceery AP-6 Rabbit distress. I never saw hide nor hair of fox or coyote. Any advice on what else if anything I can do to get that fox to come in? Thanks in advance guys,Jim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try a fight

Don't know about your part of the country but in Arizona, the fox seem to be a sucker for the sound of fighting, coyote or fox pups, the best. the old woodpecker distress is my 2nd choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It can depend on the what type of fox you are calling. I have found that gray fox are more aggressive. The Ap-6 has worked here for gray fox. They can be called with either rabbit or bird distress sounds. They really go crazy over the fox pup sounds as jrose stated. Grays really like it loud!

Red fox tend to be more shy. You have to be aware of your volume. They will hang up and watch. I have not had much luck with fox distress sounds with reds. We don't have a big red population though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I went down there today and tried my limited bag of tricks but no takers.
Not knowing your local laws and ordinances, and seeing that you went down there during the DAY, try it at night with a red light. If laws prohibit this, then try it at absolute last possible light of day. Foxes are crepuscular, meaning most active during low light conidtions. After sleeping all day the are hungry when they wake up in the evening for their first hunt of the night.

The majority of the foxes I call come in right at the "edge of dark". If you are going to use only mouthcalls, stay with the AP-6, you will eventually be rewarded. If using e-callers then other options are opened, if it is a Gray use the Gray Fox Pup Distress, the game will then be over. If it is a Red stay with high pitched-low volume sounds. good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
More

If you are calling open area's the chances of him coming during daylight are slim. I've had better luck in the light hunting thickets. I've never had one come in ever before 4:00 PM.

I have lots of luck on Reds using the Gray Fox Pup distress. It's my #1 choice. Woodpecker is #2.

As others have said volume is my major concern. Too loud and they will hang out of sight.

I called this Gray in a thicket at about 4:00 PM. I shut up and waited 5 minutes and started calling again. The Red came right in too. Bad picture but both came to a Woodpecker distress.

·
Registered
693 Posts
hey Jim

I wonder if the high coyote population might affect how a fox reacts. Fox and coyotes don't mix - when their territory over laps, I think of the fox as the '98 lb weakling' and living in fear.

dunno how to change techniques / tactics - just thinking outloud.

anyway - you'll never kill a fox from your living room - keep going and trying!

we'll be waiting for photos of a successful trip.

-niv

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys

for the responses on my fox calling problem. I'll have to get down there about 4:30 or 5:00 and see how that works. Will keep you posted.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.