Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The signs were there........ The pasture rooted up, And the ranch hands are avid hunters of wild boar. But when I told them that CGSteve and I were just a couple of coyote callers, who wouldnt mind an occasional Bobcat. And off we walked into the foothills, on a new ranch, that looked as close to varmint callers 'promised land' as you can imagine. Rolling hills, private, meandering small creeks, and springs. All on 5000 acres that is bordered on two sides by miles more of NFS land, and steep, rocky terrain. If we didnt get eaten by Mountain Lions, this should be a memorable calling trip.

Well, we saw no cougars, coyotes or bobcats, and were heading into twilight, when Steve suddenly stops walking behind me, and whispers, John......pigs!! He had his binocular trained far ahead of the 300 yds. my naked eye was scanning. Sure enough, amongst cattle, about 700-800 yards away, in a pasture were some feral hogs. Eight of them.

I couldnt hold the camera still enough on 8X zoom, but this pic shows the scene fairly well, as we approached. This was a task, as there were two cows near us, and we were worried that if they spooked at any minute, and ran, the piggies would herd away with the cattle, into the foothills, further away. If that happened, our chances of success would drop to Zero.

But we had reached the spot we pre-determined would be far enough, a slight rise on the ground, about 220 to 240 yds from the pigs. In the prone position, we scanned them. There was one large black sow in the group, but she was 80 yards further away than the piglets, I wanted to take her out, but the shot was too risky, and with only 70 grain varmint bullets in the 257 Roberts, it would have to be a perfect heart/lung shot to insure a clean kill. The odds were less than 50% in my mind. And too low to attempt. Steve saw a black one he had a bead on......so I settled on a reddish brown haired 80 pounder on the right of the group. 1....2......3........4.......Ba-Boom!!

Mine dropped, and Steves was wounded, hit and squealing...she started to run TOWARDS us.....this brought the big sow our way on the dead run also.......Steve got a shot into the body of the biggie, crippling her... but then told me he had to reload, and for me to shoot "Big Mama"......I set the crosshairs on her, and fired one round into the boiler room (man thats a BIG target), and she fell. Steve then dialed one into the head, to finish her, then turned on his smallie, and took him the rest of the way out within seconds. The rest of them scattered for the hills, while our empty guns barrels were smoking.:) Steve was shooting 50 gr. SPSX's from his .223 CZ.

Had it ended right there, that would have been good enough. But we decided to get these pigs into the pickup and give to the hired help, 5 miles away, before it got too late on Sunday evening. We walked 3/4 of a mile to the truck, and to our amazement, when we returned to load these three, we saw another herd at the base of the hills. Well, we are on a depredation permit, so why not? I loaded up the Roberts, and leveled another two, at less than 120 yards. Explosive varmint bullets worked, but you have to avoid the armor shoulder on these things. A hit in the head, or heart, and they fall quick, but that bullet has to penetrate some serious skin, muscle and tissue to get the job done.

The weights we guessed at, but conservatively we thought Big mama sow was about 240#, one more at 210#, another at 180#, the two piglets at 70# each. So if it looks like that half-ton pickup is squatting a bit...it IS!!

~john

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Some Heavy Duty Hawgs there

Razorbacks no less. Sonnys Bar B Q would be grillin these hawgs and serving them up. We need some of those things around here.........I think... maybe we have enough trouble already.

·
Registered
28 Posts
awesome

Way to go John, the Bob is such a versatile cal. you gotta love it!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You oughta' see John shoot that "Bob"...it's like watching a good old shooting show.

A short story...BS ALERT!!!

I once watched John do a back flip out of a tree and shoot a coyote while he was still upside-down in the air! Did I mention the coyote was on a dead run at 250 yards?

The BS storm has passed...

It's always entertaining to go hunt with good folks. I don't think there are many that are more "gooder" than John.

It was a fun one, no doubt!

Steve

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You California boys are having too much fun. Coyotes,cats and now pigs....Pigs a varmint?Hard for an old hog farmer to comprehend. We used to get hollered at for killing them but then they dont run wild much in the great white north:rolleyes:
Thanks for shareing

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JR in KY

I bet these hogs would LOVE that fertile soil of bluegrass state! Better hope that no one ever cuts a couple loose back there!! Fun to shoot, but what a pain in seat to agriculture!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats smilin-Steve on the right.................

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quarterbore does it again.

Thanks for sharing. Exciting story. The Bob did its job.

Hawgs are a good reason to carry a high capacity rifle with ya.

DB

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you were lucks shooting with those light bullets, I shot a big hog a few years ago with 117 hornady's with a lung shot at about 60 yds & lost the hog. Load some partations with 45.0 gr of h4350 & see how they shoot. I cook hams by piercing the meat with a large fork, rubbing in Calberts "Greek Seasoning" Cooking for 4 hours @ 300, pour out 1/2 the liquid, then cook about 4 more hours until the bone twist out easily. Aftre 3 days of eating on it, it's converted into vegetable soup.

ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WEHEN SKINNING & BUTCHERING WILD HOG.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That was one heck of a hunt, John!.....

thanks for sharing! Those 75's must be pretty tough to say the least! Looks like these new ranches you picked up are going to pay off big time!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the recipe(s)

I think you were lucky shooting with those light bullets, I shot a big hog a few years ago with 117 hornady's with a lung shot at about 60 yds & lost the hog. Load some partations with 45.0 gr of h4350 & see how they shoot. I cook hams by piercing the meat with a large fork, rubbing in Calberts "Greek Seasoning" Cooking for 4 hours @ 300, pour out 1/2 the liquid, then cook about 4 more hours until the bone twist out easily. Aftre 3 days of eating on it, it's converted into vegetable soup.

ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WEHEN SKINNING & BUTCHERING WILD HOG.
Tom, I do think the light , frangible bullets are better suited to heart lung shots, than the heavier game bullets. Now at 60 or say 100 yards, the 117's into the shoulder would be even better. They are tough animals, and for eating, you really dont want to use what we did. Too much interior shock, and blood shot meat. Though the loins are usually left ok.

Fortunately, the first shots were far enough away, that the bullets had slowed just enough to penetrate the skin, yet going fast enough to expand and stay inside.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Fantastic job John! Gotta love that Bob! I'd say you did alright, but for comfort, mebby a few 100 gn Partitions would be nice to have along on a yote safari!

Thanks for sharing and for the pix!

P.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Blazing piglets

Great story and pics. If'n you guys ever need a back up shooter, let me know:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love to shoot pigs

A couple of years ago I was on a varmint/pig hunt in the foothills above San Jose/Gillroy. We shot a bunch of long tailed ground squirl's some coyotes and my brother shot a very large Bobcat.

Everybody in the group of six was shooting bows for the pigs except me. I was shooting my 257 Roberts AI and happened upon a herd on the final evening of our hunt. I first sighted the pigs at 1000 yards and was able to get within 250 yards in darn near open ground (pigs do not see well at all).

I took two shots and killed two pigs shooting the 100 grain Speer Hotcore. One sow was shot at 250 yards. She was hit in a classic lung shot (which I prefer for saving meat), ran about 50 yards with blood shooting out her side. Bullet was recovered on the far side and weighed 80 grains.

The second pig a larger boar I think was hit at about 100 yards on the run. I hit him dead square in the shoulder (did not mean to) as he qurtered away. He hunched up and started to limp but continued on. It was near dark and after a quick search I did not find him.

I really look forward to going back to that ranch this spring.

Mike.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Great Hunt!!

I wanna shoot a piggy!!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
This is Ami:

You can make a lot of BLT's with them!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts