Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some really nice salt water fishing poles and reels, that I am gonna sell.
I am wondering if I can ship the poles which are 7 and 8 feet long, U.P.S...

Have any of you guys ever shipped any long stuff.

Any help will be appreciated,

HARRY

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd trust the post office over UPS

I know one person who sent a rifle though UPS and they broke the stock. Gun was shipped in a hard case inside a cardboard box. Guy at work bought a Ruger Police Rifle and recieved it with a broken stock. I think they do it on purpose. He's still trying to get money from them.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
794 Posts
You can but.................

I have some really nice salt water fishing poles and reels, that I am gonna sell.

HARRY
:D the package must contain no hooks, or line that UPS workers could become entangled in....Also you must ship them to a person with and FFL (Federal Fish License). If you include reels in the package they must be shipped overnight.:p

·
Registered
928 Posts
How about packing them in a PVC pipe? Send the reels in a regular box separately.
Ken

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pvc!

Anything short of heavy walled PVC will get trashed by the UPS
gorillas. And trying to get a claim out of them, for a broken rod,
is not funny. I purchased a rod, from a southern supply house,
and it arrived in a HEAVY cardboard tube, with a broken tip.
The supply company made good on the rod, but it took 5 months for
UPS to finally show up, to claim the broken rod. When I ship rids,
in for repair, I use heavy walled PVC, and so far UPS hasn't trashed
one. And yes ship the reels separately, WELL packed, and just
for safety sake, mark them, "Fragile as Glass". Maybe the gorillas
won't stomp on it. :eek:

Squeeze

·
Registered
7 Posts

HARRY

Yes.

I ship 35 - 50 rods per year via UPS. And I have shipped a pair of 8' swim bait rods.

I prefer schedule 40 PVC. It may seem like overkill, but UPS has still broken a couple of rods even though they were in schedule 40.

I cut my tube 2" longer than my rod. I put my rod in a long plastic bag. Then I wrap the tip in bubble wrap making sure I cover the end and then wrap around the blank. Get the bubble wrap to the diameter of your tube. Then I wrap stips of bubble wrap every foot or so down the length of the rod making sure the wrap is about the same diameter as the ID of the tube. You want your rod to "float" in the middle of the tube. I put a little foam on each end of the tube and seal it shut.

I also make labels that say "Do Not Sort Across Belts" for the outside of the tubes. Sorting facilities are a maze of conveyor. The rod tubes are longer than the conveyors are wide. So as the tube is moving along a conveyor it can catch an adjacent conveyor and get sucked into the works. That'll destroy the tube. "Do Not Sort Across Belts" gets the tube hand sorted rather than conveyor sorted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts