Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could have just sent this info in a PM, but there might be one or two others interested besides JR and Charlie.

Cindy fixed some fettucine alfredo yesterday, just the pasta and sauce. I knew I had just a few scraps left of the Canadian bacon I made a few weeks ago, so I asked her to dice that meat up kind of fine and toss it on top of my pasta. Man oh man! It was like a cross between really good pepper bacon and the best smoked ham you ever ate. Now I'm wondering if I couldn't make some gravy with the bacon drippings I save, then toss in some real fine-diced CB. I can see it working great on a green salad instead of those dang man-made Bacon Bits. And why wouldn't it work to flavor country-style green beans, bean soup, potato soup, things like that?

I definitely will be making more Canadian bacon and see it becoming a secret ingredient in a lot of my recipes. JR, how did yours turn out?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Well, I split my half loin in two pieces. I sliced up half of it into 3/4 inch slices and cured it in a bag just like the directions. I fried these up in a cast iron skillet with scrambled eggs.
I had another chunk just size I could get it in a quart bag and cured it separate. The Chunk about 7 inches long was smoked to about 155° in the smoker after the cure. I then sliced it up into thin pieces.
I liked both ways, but I didn't get all fancy like those directions you sent me.
Sam is the meat curing expert anyway....he gave me some last year.
I have a 3 slices in the freezer and you reminded me to get them out and I may do another next week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts