Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems like they do not last as long as they used to and they dang sure have gotten more Expensive. Mostly because the USA has no more lead mines. (Obomo closed the last one in Missouri)
I think the recycling is done "over there" also. Lead fumes and Dust are dangerous, but you would Think....aw never mind.

I purchased a 1000 amp Tractor battery in August 2012 and it croaked last week. Best, longest lasting battery I EVER had in a Diesel Tractor. I gave $100 for it at the time and they are nearly $200 now, but I will buy another one soon. Great [email protected]@!!

Diesel Tractors are notoriously hard on Batterys. JD Greenie is not 5 yr old and will have to have battery #3 before winter.
And speaking of John Deere. They "require" a John Deere battery to fit the holders properly. And they are from 2X to 3X more expensive. Don't last a bit longer either. Greenie's OEM JD battery lasted 2 years.

Just Thinking....
All of us supposed to be driving ELECTRIC vehicles in a very few years.
Big Hurricane just hit Louisiana.... Power out for days.....HOW you charge the Battery Now?
Our Power Grid will NOT support that many large batteries to be charged when it is up and running in good times.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
None of those folks who tout electric vehicles have a clue where the electricity comes from. “A battery” they’ll say but also have no idea how that battery got charged. They probably think AAA will bring ‘em a can of electricity when their car goes dead on the highway. Do electric cars have transmissions? What’s inside those? I coukd go on until I run us out of bandwidth but that might cause a diesel powered generator to fire up somewhere. ALM! Amperage Life Matters.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
JR, the last smelter was in Missouri and that was what was closed by the EPA. Too many sulfur emissions, as I recall. With no smelters, there was no need for the mine, so the mine closed also. Like you said, only recyclers now.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
I agree batteries are pretty short lived anymore....I got tired of replacing my 4 wheeler battery every year and bought a AGM for it and I haven't had to replace or even charge it after sitting for year. I think it's been in 3 years now.
I just had to replace the batteries in my F450 at almost $400. Damn thing had new batteries in it when I bought it and it sits mostly so the went south.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Yup, my mower battery would only last two years until I got a cheap battery tender/exerciser from Harbor Freight. Leave it on during the winter and everything starts right up in the Spring. The problem is just sitting. Lack of use causes sulfidation, which makes the battery run down to where it can't charge adequately and kills it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If you get 3 years out of any car battery nowadays, it seems like you’re doing pretty good. Motorcycle, ATV’s and mowers are even worse. I just had to replace one in my wife’s car last week that was 6 years old. Hope the new one lasts that long.

By the way, Advance Auto and Wal Mart wanted $175 for a new one. I went to a local battery shop near work and got one for $101.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Costco has decent battery prices also. I think they are Interstate brand. With all the new safety junk on new cars, it will be even worse, in my opinion. My wife's 2021 has an 'Economy' feature, that kills the engine at a stoplight if you keep your foot on the brake. You let your foot off the brake to let the engine to start again and you go. I wonder how many starts that takes to kill the battery. She uses it, but I don't. Personally, I doubt it will save 0.5mpg.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I had the same thought today Tinman. Wife's Pacifica has that feature. Its not BAD but not smooth either.
Which raises another question: My 8 day old Highlander hybrid flows from engine to battery and both at times without the slightest hint. None, zero, nada. I'm amazed from a mechanical viewpoint - How do they do it? It is a CVT trannie.
I had an Aha moment when I looked to see which side of the engine compartment the batt was on......duhhhh. Must be a drag car w the battery in the back, eh? Wink.
Back to topic - I wonder if the EPA gives a blanket point 2 or .3mpg or ?? if the car is so equipped?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I am pretty sure the EPA takes credit for using any feature they can, since that is what makes the EPA mileage count. My son has a 5 year old Ford Fusion Hybrid that is amazing smooth and quiet, even in transition, and gets great mileage. And yes, it is a CVT also. You have to watch the dashboard gauges to see the transition.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Yessir, that's the only way to tell - watch the little animated flow chart.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yessir, that's the only way to tell - watch the little animated flow chart.
The hybrid cars are probably a good thing in warmer climates but not so good in MN, my wife drove a new Toyota Camry hybrid from 2009 when it was new until traded in for a new Honda V6 non hybrid in 2014. 2009 would average 42 MPG in warmer weather if you had a light foot. But in cold MN winter weather it was lucky to average 24 mpg . When it was traded in on a new one the trade in value was less than if it had been a standard 4cyl gas Camry because of the liability of replacing the big battery pack in the trunk.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
Melissa's dad went car shopping and looked at a hybird.
The guy that came out to show us didn't work there, was just watching the place til the owner came back. JB asked what he knowed about hybrids and he said, don't tell the owner but his opinion was fun away as fast as you can. He bought a new 1 with a 1 year warranty and 1 year and 5 days the big battery went bad. He took it back where he bought it and they gave him the fun around about how much a replacement was until he got mad and went.off on'em. He said they finally told him $30,000 for a new battery. He told them before he paid.that, he'd burn it in their lot where it set. He ended up trading it in at another dealer for 1 that wasnt a hybird.
IN thanked him and we left.

Donnie

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Donnie, that sounds like a dirt lot, scam prone outfit. Never heard the like - 30k for a battery for a 28k car +/- new?! Son has had a Prius V since '14. 50mpg every tank full. Not sure how much the batt construction n tech has improved in the last 10+ years. There is some "forward looking statements" online, a subtle? not so - hint to invest in some near breakthrough technology.....uh huh. I don't know about that ;) 3 yr lease, I'll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts