Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been reloading for a few years now and sometimes my mind gets a hold of something and won't let go.
When a case is cut to length the end of the case mouth is flat. If you lightly de-burr & chamfer, the edges of this flat should be knocked off and some of the flat area left. More aggressive de-burring and chamfering would result in removing the flat area and producing a knife edge at the case mouth.
It seems to me that each of these methods would produce a different neck thickness at the case mouth affecting bullet release.
Which resuls should I be trying to get? Or should a halfway between the two extremes result be the goal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That eensy-weensy short length of neck will have no measureable effect on bullet pull, but you should not chamfer to a knife edge at any time because that will lead to (encourage?) neck splits. It's better to have more taper on the inside edge than the outside, because that's where the bullet enters, and a funnel effect is mo bettah.

Frankly, it's the least important thing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Dittos...Zackly what Rocky said!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured Paul and Rocky would know something. I just get this stuff stuck in my head and need somebody with more knowledge than me to ease my mind. Now, which side of the Bear has the most hair?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.