Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the procedure to use preping Lapua brass for match shooting? I need to get my brass ready to start my barrel break-in and would like to do it right. From what I've read don't trim or neck turn till after the brass has been fireformed...correct? Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Probably depends

you may have to neck turn just to get it in the chamber, ie something like a 262nk 6ppc. I've found messing with deburring primer holes is a waste of time with Lapua, they just don't need it. If your forming brass, like on a AI where you are pushing the sides out and shoulder forward I wouldn't trim the length as you usually lose length in the fireforming process. Little more info would help, but as a rule most serious prep comes after the brass is formed to your chamber.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Personally, I like to first uniform the primer pockets, then I debur the flash holes. In my experience shooting benchrest, I found that even Lapua has some sloppy flash holes and some cases came full of brass shavings from the factory. So, as seemingly unnecessary doing this with Lapua cases is, it at least gives you the opportunity to inspect the brass before firing them for the first time. Nine out of ten times, I get very little from flash hole uniforming on Lapua cases, but some (a few) need to be cut at the flash hole. For me, doing this is more of a ritual and it also removes any doubt that the potential for a flier was caused by my brass.
After this, I will fireform and weigh/measure my fired cases. I will separate my oddball cases in weight from the bunch. Neck turning as already stated is simply a matter of which chamber I am shooting the cases from. Some need t obe turned in order to chamber a round.
If I have cases that need turning, I occaisionally re-turn the fired cases after every 10 firings or so to remove excess brass that flows forward. Not much comes off, but some always does.
My dies are always Redding competition bushing neck dies for resizing.
Ken

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok NYCSTRIPES what weight difference do you separate your cases? ½gr or 1gr? I've got a .272 neck so I'll only have to cut the high spots off the necks. The ones I checked are within .0005. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Prep brass

If you are forming 6PPC from 220 Russian do the flash hole and don't trim the length,.as stated it will not "grow". Personally I have never weighed Lapua brass because it is so consistant.A process I use when practiceing,any shot that is "out" for no aparent reason that brass is marked (sharpee) and next shot see if it is up to snuff.By this process i find 10 to 15 that I use in compititon
jerrold

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ok NYCSTRIPES what weight difference do you separate your cases? ½gr or 1gr? I've got a .272 neck so I'll only have to cut the high spots off the necks. The ones I checked are within .0005. Thanks
As stated, Lapua is very consistent. I just weigh them as a matter of habit. If your cases are that consistent, I would be happy. I weigh them to make sure that they are running as consistently as yours are. Something that does not belong will definitely present itself as being way off. Doesn't happen very often with Norma or Lapua, but it does on occasion.
Ken

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I forgot to mention I'm working on 6mmbr Lapua brass. I have a noturn neck but the runout on the necks are .0005 at the most. But weighing the cases I'm finding a spread of 2gr or better. Do I group the ones that are closet and use them and set the others aside??

·
Registered
928 Posts
You should be fine if you're within that range. If all your cases are that close then as posted earlier, mark a case that has an unexplainable flier and re-check it again later
Good shooting
Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use Lapua stright out of the box for my 6BR and have had great luck with it. Never had a problem with Lapua flash holes. As long as the neck is OK you are ready to go. Good luck with the 6BR are you going to come down to Piedmont and shoot this year? My new BAT is done and needs to be broken in also.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey James... are they gonna shoot this yr down at Rutherfordton? I heard they were gonna start back. Let me know!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts