Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks for the prayers posted here. Yesterday's cataract surgery was really not a big deal. Who would believe having somebody cut on your eyeball would be that easy? Never felt a thing even though I could see lights during the procedure. The only pain was from starting an IV in the back of my hand. Ain't fun but I'm used to it. It's where they always go on me. Had some irritation after we got home but it went away shortly. Surgery went well as did today's post-op check up. Optometrist said it looked "perfect" and the irritation I felt was typical and from the incision. She released me to drive in the daylight with sunglasses. Vision in the right eye is still a little blurry but It's getting better and this morning I began to see a big difference. If I close my right eye, headlights all look yellowish. With the left eye closed, they're bright white. Reading this text with one eye then the other shows the same result. Grayish text on the black background vs. bright white on black. Cataracts happen so gradually, you don't realize you're looking at the world through yellowed lenses. I've been wearing glasses for almost 60 years. Looking forward to not needing 'em even though I may need "readers". I'll stay away from the golf pasture for a couple more days, I guess.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Ah, those operations are nothing. They are routine. Of course I’ve never had it done to me but my wife has had both eyes done. I had something clever to say but I’ll refrain. May your vision continue to improve.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Yessir, a walk in the park. I too had some lenses installed. Put on the magnetic bridge style readers in the AM and gtg til bed time.
I had forgotten abt the scratchiness immediately after. You will have the realization shortly that it aint there no mo.
Glad it's going well.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Sounds similar to the procedure I had, although it was a laser and not a knife. Yeah, the worst part is the drops before and after. The eye heals vert quickly, thank goodness.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Glad you are doing good Pancake Doug.
All Surgery is Routine....till they adoing it on YOU.
Guess I need it too

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Really glad it went well, Doug. Your IV ordeal sounds exactly like mine. I've given gallons of blood, all from sticks inside one elbow or the other. But when that nurse started fishing around in the top of my hand, I was begging and pleading for her to pull it out and stick me in the arm instead. She said that's not their procedure, so it had to go in my hand. I decided later that the painful IV location was all part of the plan: Give the patient a little pain in their hand and they'll never notice anything going on with their eye.

Let us know if blueberry syrup looks different from that "new" eye, OK?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The hand has lots of nerves and tendons, not to mention the bones, and all the small veins make it all very painful. I have had to do it a lot over the years, but it still hurts like the dickens. Do the drops religiously. My wife did both eyes a couple of years ago, and all has been good. Just make sure Too doesn't get playful and hit you in the eye with his paw for a while.

·
Administrator
3,031 Posts
I had both eyes done two weeks apart eight years ago now. Mine were done with laser and the irritation of each eye went away after a day. I remember the darn drops I had to put for about three weeks afterward, that was the biggest pain in the neck. They told me wear polarized sunglasses all the time which I have, my vision is 20/20 and I wear reading glasses for computer work and reading.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had both eyes done two weeks apart eight years ago now. Mine were done with laser and the irritation of each eye went away after a day. I remember the darn drops I had to put for about three weeks afterward, that was the biggest pain in the neck. They told me wear polarized sunglasses all the time which I have, my vision is 20/20 and I wear reading glasses for computer work and reading.
Exactly what I'm doing George. They have bifocal implant lenses now but at $4500 per eye I passed on that. I can buy a lot of reading glasses for $9K.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Glad to hear the good report. My experience with amazement upon the clarity of the first eye on next morning was amazing...all my younger brothers got to pitch their glasses after surgery...not moi but being able to see a distant rabbit twitch his nose at age 82 makes me feel like a coyote.

Not a fan of drops but by the time I figured out how to do them right...they were done.

Best,
Dave

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
Doug; had mine done a few months ago, not a big deal and haven't worn glasses since except the readers. Love it but a pain to have to carry a pair around in my pocket all the time. Drops are a pain, but important, keep up the good work and use those drops faithfully, take care and God bless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts