Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone who has experience with these primers explain in what instances you would want to use this primer, over a small rifle primer such as the remington 7 1/2 , Federal 205, winchester SR etc.

I've seen it listed in AR applications, but don't know the particulars and would like additional information. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The intention is to prevent slam fires, in an AR the firing pin free floats, no springs, so when the bolt slams forward it will make a small dent in the primer, it is remotely possible for a primer to light off in this case, it's really a rare occurrence but it can happen. One thing about the AR though is that it cannot fire until the bolt is locked up, the firing pin cannot reach the primer till the bolt is in battery, some other rifles it can, but not the AR. If a round goes off when the bolt is out of battery, bad things happen, but that is almost impossible on an AR15.

I have fired thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo through an AR and have never had a problem, and I've never used the military spec primers, but you need to be very aware when you let that bolt go forward to make sure it is pointed in a safe direction, of course you should be doing that anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts