Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's this early Rem 700 ADL that sits its original stock that was bedded at an unknown time. The stock has taken its licks, which suits me, but i don't care for the cheek piece. So an HS Precision sporter is waiting in the wings.

My question is this: i have some tuned up ammo and am wondering if i need to wait until all these rounds have been shot before changing stocks. Will the groups change with this ammo and the new stock? The gut feeling is the rifle will shoot differently when swapping stocks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I assume you know where this ammo shoots. You can use it as a gauge as to how the rifle shoots with a new stock. If it shoots better- it was a good trade. If it shoots worse, then you know there's something in the bedding that is wrong. Probabilities though are that nothing is going to change including POI. You're lucky. Most have to sort this out burning a lot of ammo. All you have to do is reproduce the same accuracy with the same loads.

·
Administrator
3,032 Posts
If both stocks are bedded the same nothing should change. A friend had a gunsmith take the cheek pieces off a couple of his 700's. Of course I am talking wood stocks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It groups in the .4's. I do look for the POI to change, but what I'm wondering is if the groups themselves will change with the new aluminum blocked HSP stock.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Then there's always the spectre of evenly and properly torqueing the action screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts