Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on which rifle to use for my initiation into coyote hunting. Of the rifles in my battery, there is included the following:
Ruger 77R in 250-3000
Ruger 77 MK II in 257 Roberts
Ruger 77R in 25-06
Ruger 77 MK II Compact in 223
Mauser 96 (sporterized, Douglas barrel) in 6.5x55
Remington 722 in 222

All, with the exception of the 722 and the Ruger Compact, have 22inch barrels. The 722 has a 26inch barrel and the Compact has a 16 1/2 inch barrel. All have sporter contour barrels as well.

Given these choices (aside from purchasing a new rifle) which would best fit the task of taking coyotes. (I am not concerned with pelt damage).

Thanks for any and all input. Also, if you have an opinion on a specific caliber, please let me know what bullet weight you would recommend as well.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I kinda think

that any of those would kill a coyote. If you don't pick the 250-3000 (because you don't like it....call me). Just use the one you want to use. There aren't any rules that say your over-gunned....just don't go under-gunned.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I have a friend that uses a 25.06; since you said you just want to Kill'em on the spot it would be a dandy choice. Really ventilates them well. And that Ruger would be OK to carry around if it doesn't have the heavy barrell. What I really like about the big thumpers is you don't have to hit them in the engine block to stop them. Sometimes they move just as you squeeze on them or maybe one might just shake a bit, no?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Boy, Bill......I like ALL of those!!

Any one of those will work. I shoot a lot of coyotes out here with my 257 Roberts, and 70 grain bullets. But the little 222 will drop them too.

Take the one you have the most confidence in, as most of us tend to get a bit excited when ole-'Wiley appears and starts running our way!

Keep us posted on the first trip, have fun, and take the camera!!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go with a heavier gun

Meaning the 6.5 with a 100gr bullet. It happens that the coyote will hold up on the way in and get behind a cholla or mesquite bush and stay there. I use a 7x57 combination gun and a 120gr V-max at 2600 fps. It will shoot through the brush better.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd use the lightest, easiest to carry rifle that you can shoot well. You'll be carrying the rifle much more than you'll be shooting it. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They will all work...especialy if not conserned with the fur.Things sometimes happen fast when calling,I'd use the gun you use and know the best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're lucky today that I saw your question......

..........Save the mauser for back up and deer and such. Put a piece of paper with the caliber for each of the other rifles in a hat, box or pocket. Draw a piece of paper or have someone do that part for you. Then SEND THE OTHERS TO ME. I'll gladly give you my FFL's info.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
All will do the job,my preference is with something that feels good while sitting on the ground and turning at different angles, It wont take long to find that one. Before I escaped Fl 7 yrs ago I was looking into coyote hunting,never went tho.People are real funny about deer leases,maybe you should look around and see if you can find a club that will allow you coyote hunting at a much discounted rate,be sure to mention all hunting would not be during any deer/turkey hun ting. Good luck
Let us know how you are doing.
Mike F.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If all other aspects are equal I personally would go with the Ruger 223 or the Rem 222. But as another already said you could just as easily draw numbers from a hat. Nice selection of rifles you got there. If I were to hunt coyotes on wide open pasture land I might reconsider and go with the 25-06.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the choice will be tough.....

...but I think I will start with the 250 Savage. It's easy to load for, the rifle is easy on recoil (makes for quick follow up shots) and this particular gun is fairly accurate. If it doesn't work out I can always use one of the others.

Thanks all for the tips, I will need as much help as I can get as I get started in this new venture.

Hopefully us guys from FL can come together and form a Coyote Calling partnership. Should be fun!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Depends on the distance you'll be shooting. If your max shot is 250 yards, I'd use either the .222, or .223. If you get out to 350 yards, I'd use the 22-250. Beyond that, the 25-06. I'd use the cartridge with the least muzzle-blast, that got the job done at the required distance. There is no sense making more noise than you need to......just announces your presence, and makes the calling more difficult.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
But at times I use one of these two........

I wanted a rifle for walking around on the prairies of Montana. It had to be light, but not so light as to be unstable. It needed "punch" but I also wanted to see the impact. It had to be servicable in rain, dust and snow.
I started with a Remington 700 Short Action. I completely blueprinted the action, installed a bushing on the bolt and a Sako extractor. A reworked stainless steel Remington 700 trigger set at 2 pounds was added. The barrel is a Pac Nor and I chambered it in 223 Ackley and cut and crowned it at 24". A Holland muzzle brake was treaded on the muzzle. The stock is a Remington ADL wooden stock, drilled out everywhere possible to lighten it. It now weighs under 2 pounds. It was coated with thinned epoxy, inside and out, and painted flat green using Kryolon "chalk board" paint. I've found this paint to be extremely durable and available at Home Depot.
Rings and scope mounts are by S&K. The scope shown is a Springfield 4-14 with a 223 ranging reticle. This rifle now wears a Weaver V-16 as the "ranging reticle" in the Springfield scope does not work with 40 grain Noslers. It was designed to be used with SS-109 ammo using heavy bullets.
The entire gun, bolt, scope mounts, swivels, were coated with KG Gun Kote. This is a great finish that is applied to a bead blasted firearm and then baked at 325 degrees for an hour or so. It makes the gun increadibly slick. The bolt operates like it is on ball bearings!

Remington 700 Short Action

Pac Nor Stainless Steel barrel in #3 contour

223 Ackley Improved (40 degrees)

Holland muzzle brake

S&K "Kontoured" scope rings and mounts

Remington ADL modified stock

Remington 700 SS trigger set at 2 pounds

KG Gun-Kote moly polymer finish

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.