Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and 1 mate decided to go and do a relocation programme for a mob who have a rather vested interest in selling a lot of eggs and foxes aren't really wanted especially 1 particular fox that has somehow managed to get inside the open yards even though the fences are supposed to be fox proof. :umm:

We played chase me shoot me with this cunning mongrel for 20 minutes before giving up as he just disappeared somewhere and it wasn't till the following day when we went out for a walk in the yards that we found a old rabbit warren with possibly 1-2 holes in use. So it looks like the owners may have to cover all the holes in and shove a can of PHOSTOXIN down there and cover them in and see if that cures the mongrel of living.

Mate smacked 3 foxes with his .223 loaded with 55gn VMax's of which 1 was in a paddock with ewe's that had not long dropped lambs with in a day or so and he was sitting off a mother and 3 lambs when a 55gn attitude adjustment device changed his outlook on living. He was in poor condition with a ratty tail and a few sores on his rear leg.

I nailed 2 foxes with the 22/250AI and 60gn Sierra HP's.
We saw bugger all roo's but managed to get 4 BUT as we were driving out of 1 part of the place we were heading back towards the road to go to another part when this ute/station wagon 4wd drove into the paddock and upon seeing us spun around and took off leaving the gate open with sheep wandering around in the paddock. We drove up to the gate closed it and went down the road a bit to see if we could find that car but to no avail.

We let the owners know the next morning and left that info with them as we reckon the low life's may well of been coming into poach sheep as that's all's there is in this paddock and when they saw us they bolted.

Most of these foxes had really nice coats that in years gone by would've been worth anything up to $40 but once again thanks to the idiot animal rights window lickers they all but killed the industry.

All up we shot 5 foxes for the night but saw probably 12 with the mate missing probably 2. The last fox I hit with the 22/250AI and while it is a nice skin on 1 side the fist sized exit on the other side didn't help.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Kevin, you never mention the dingos. What’s the difference between them and fox’s. Isn’t the dingo considered a predator?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin, you never mention the dingos. What’s the difference between them and fox’s. Isn’t the dingo considered a predator?

Dingoes are a lot more to the North up around the Cape in Northern Queensland and across the top of Australia and out into our desert areas.

Dingoes are a natural predator here and there's not much they won't eat from insects up to cattle if they can drag 1 down which they can do in a pack and will attack a mob of sheep and kill or maul most just for the thrill of the chase.
Most Dingoes and wild dogs are shot on sight and the Dingo is actually under threat and now the breed is under threat from wild dogs as they cross breed.

Frazier Island off the Queensland coast is 1 place where there's still pure bred Dingoes and a few places in our tropical North and desert regions

Generally a Dingo is about the size of a Kelpie or a bit bigger in height.
The Australian Red Cattle dog has Dingo in it's blood line which can be seen in a Cattle dog's head at certain angles.
Dingoes don't actually bark but yowl and I've heard them "sing" when I and my son were on a cull hunt in our Northern Territory years ago just on dark.
It's a real lonely sort of sound eerie but beautiful sort of like when wolves howl.

Around here and further out and up North and Down South there's a lot of wild dogs that are shot,trapped and poisoned and a lot of them are about the size of a German Shepherd and dangerous as they hunt in packs sometimes.

Dingoes were introduced into Australia probably around 5-12,000 years ago by Indian/Asian traders depending on what history you read and are supposedly related to the Indian wild dog.

This is 1 I shot with my 30/06AI years ago on a cull hunt in the Northern Territory

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts