Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a late start and debated even going since it was Christmas Eve an all. I finally got headed to the ranch about 7:30 its only a 20 minute drive but the sun had already been up 40 minutes.
I had hunted one part of the ranch the night before without even seeing a deer. I decided while driving to go back to another area of the ranch I had hunted earlier in the season. As I neered the gate I spotted 4 deer out in the feild feeding. I stopped and opened the gate just glancing at the deer over at the deer again as they hurried out of the field....WAaa 2 legal bucks trotting off with the does to cover. Thats about my luck the only legal buck I had seen ( 13 inch inside spread rule here ) and he's running away atleast 400 yards from me already. I parked the truck and began to slip through the brush down the direction the deer had gone to an old pond that I had sat by deer hunting before. I had seen several groups of does in the past weeks ease down the north fence line as the made their way to the bedding area. Seemed like a good spot to maybe see these deer move through after awhile.
I had not been sat down 10 minutes when the first deer popped out around some cedars to my left. My heart began to race with hope this was the group of deer I had seen up in the pasture. They usually fallowed the fence line 200 + yards away but not this old doe she had taken another trail and ended up only 75 or so yards away from where I was sitting. The old doe moved on out in the meadow fallowed by 2 then 3 then 1 more doe. I held my shooting sticks steady as I was sure the buck had to be here some place. With 7 sets of eyes looking around you cant move at all. Sure enough one of the does get curious about me and begins looking at me and stomping around as if she knows something is up. I looked at a tree so as not to let here feel me focus on her. Corny I know but If you stare at an animal its like they feel it. Hours past, minutes actually but finally she gave up and led the other does on across the meadow. I waited without moving just knowing those bucks had to be very close. Like a ghost the first buck bounced out of the tree line and as quick as he appeared he was gone. My heart sank he looked like a very nice deer with long times and plenty wide. :eek: I waited thinking there is 2 just then the other deer bounded out into the field but I wasn't gonna let that happen again. I barked ( Predator Hunting is my true passion :rolleyes: ) and the buck threw on the brakes. BOOOM the 257 Weatherby echoed through the creek bottom. I had held the crosshairs of the Elite 3200 just behind the shoulder snd squeezed the round off and deer season was now closed. I was pleased with my Christmas gift and have enjoyed all the ups and downs this season has given me.
The 8 point buck was taken with my 257 Weatherby at the amazing distance of 138 paces. The 115 grain Nosler BT caught a rib going in and one going out with very little meat damage and NO TRACKING REQUIRED. :D
The buck measured 15.5 which is not large but it's legal and should be some good eating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What A Great Christmas Present!!!!!

That`s just too cool. That`s a dandy buck. I don`t understand the inside spread rule tho`. Are you supposed to pass on any racks that don`t look right or will the deer hold still while you run over and throw a measureing tape on the rack?
And I thought the WDFW was screwed up!
Glad you got that bugger and can guess measurments at a distance!
Nice!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts