Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys as most of you know I am on a very tight budget. I have to make all I can and I'm looking for some ideas for a cleaning cradle. Yea the're not much but if I can come up with a design I like I'd build one. I know there are some custom rigs out there so whats ya got. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
James, take a look at this Gun Vise. Most hardware stores stock these common parts and pieces. And, it could be home-built for minimum buck-a-roos. Also, in the end you would have a versitle piece of nice equipment.

http://ctkprecision.com/p3main.html

Just a thought, hope you find something suitable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I built one

Out of that baltic birch plywood. The kind they use for the backs of cabinets. It is really good stuff. I just basically built a box with a tall end then cut a long slot in it with a rounded bottom. Then I built a slider with another slot. I have used it for years and it has performed nicely. I know that is not very clear, but you really can build one with a bit of imagination and just a few hand tools. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Take the cheap way out James

For years I've used nothing more than a rear sandbag just forward of the trigger guard and a small piece of carpet scrap under the barrel or forend.

This puts a down pitch on the barrel and helps it drain. I've never dropped a gun off this setup and just don't see the need for a cradle----just another item to keep up with.

A simple cradle shouldn't be too hard to build if money is tight but I just don't see the need for one.

Hope you can get what you want.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
35 Posts
here is one i had made for handguns primarily and it works great for the single shots, revolver, and even a 22/45 ruger auto. i've actually even used it to hold my sons rem 700 .243 while cleaning. i'd say with minimum modifications one could set it up for all rifles if wanted.

"vmt_hntr" made it for me, and it is one of the handiest items i own. :cool:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Saw A Simple But Really Neat One

James, the last time I was over to shoot with the fellows at Jackie's
I saw a really neat cleaning cradle made from wood (I think Cedar).
Just basically a trough made the correct width to hold a 3 inch
forearm, and with one end elevated. The elevated end had a slot
cut in it for the trigger shoe to fit in when placing the rifle in the
cradle. I think it was lined with the material that you would line a
tool box with. I guess that some type of ourdoor carpet would also
work as a liner. I think the one I saw belonged to Greg and was
made by Lee Bullock. Maybe George or some of the fellows can get
a picture of it for you. I am sure you could build one real easily. I
think I am going to build myself one when I get around to it. I like
them much better than the alimunim ones becasue they won't skin your
stock up. ;) James if you see one you will build yourself one I promise
you. George get James a picture of Lee's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here's mine.

I just made mine out of 3/4" plywood and lined the U shapes with felt that I glued on with wood glue. Works fine. Only things I'd change is I cut the U shape out to 2" wide and some wide forends barely go in. I'd cut it to 2 1/2". And, there's no need for one U deal to be higher than the other. Cut them both to 2".

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another option....

Another option is to cut 2 pieces of wood slightly larger than your bench vise jaws and then carpet them. Attach the 2 halfs together with a piece of old inner tube and slip the "cradle" into the vise, with a rifle sandwiched in between. Tighten the vise (not toooo tight) and your off and running. Has worked great for me for over 15 years. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I use exactly the same setup. I found that the carpet seemed to attract and hold bits of dirt which might abrade the barrel, so I add a soft clean shopcloth in between the jaws each time. Works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.