Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of Cobra 10 mile range radios for Christmas that advertise a range of 10 miles (conditions just right). I'm wondering if the range is anywhere close to that?

I am told that a few years ago, when they came out, the 10 milers were only good for about 3 miles, but, the newest versions have more power. Does anyone have any experience with the new versions? Thanks....

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't know anything about Cobras, but

I have a set of "five mile" motorolas.

On a good day they will work out to 1.5 miles.
both my Motorolas and my Garmin Rino transmit at reduced power on the lower channels (1-14) I think. The longer range is only achievable on the higher channels, which transmit at the full power rating. The FCC mandates that you must be licensed to use the higher power channels. You can get the license on line, but I think it was about $80, OUCH !

I've heard stories of people receiving transmissions between a hunting party on a mountain top 8 miles away, on channel 5. Now this is 8 miles of clear blue sky, ~1000 ft above the valley floor. It's also a rare occurrence. I'd like to try the high power channels across that valley someday.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My experience

I've got a set of 5 Watt Midland radios that are advertised @ 18 miles (perfect conditions). They seem to have about the same range as my 10 mile Motorala radios but will sometime surprise me by reaching places several miles away that are not even close to line of sight. I'm guessing the 10 mile Motoralas would work 4 or 5 miles away in a perfect line of sight situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts