Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Cold Weather Gear? Whats working for you?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  joeinnm 
#1 ·
The recent cold snap has me digging in the closet to find the perfect layers to keep me warm but not resemble the Michelin Man. I bought the basics in Sleeping Indian from Cabelas-but im afraid to take the tags off because i really cant afford this line of clothing. I'm using a little bit of everything,but always start with a good base layer-Ulfrotte. Any ideas on whats warm and windproof without the bulk or broken bank? Thanks, Eric

#2 ·
I have a pair of snow camo coverals from Cablea`s that are great for cold weather. At 15 to 20 degrees you don`t want anything else on or you`ll get to hot. At zero and below they really come into their own. I have a friend that also has a pair and he was telling me he didn`t think they cairred they any more, but for around $ 100 or less they are worth every penny.

#3 ·
depends on what you call cold

I've got a set of Cabela's snow camo coveralls - they are great in the snow and cold - I've been out in cold down to minus 20 and have actually had to unzip a bit to keep from over heating. if you want to layer and end up with a white outer layer, tie on an old white sheet, poncho style - over whatever you are wearing...

as far as looking like the michelin man or an abombnibal snow man - comfort comes before fashion.

-niv

#4 ·
I had a coverall/jumper just like that...

But, my wife (at the time) got pissy about my having my hunting gear in the hall closet one day. So, I put my "snow suit" and an Advantage camo coverall - about $330 worth of HD cold weather camo - into black plastic trash bags prior to putting them in storage. My wife hired a cleaning lady to come in once a week...and you know the rest. [sniff, sniff...]

Well, at least now I see who is wearing it...YOU! LOL!

P.

#5 ·
Layers, layers, layers...

Here are some of my favorite layers that I have found work well and allow good motion.

Polypropolene (sp?) underwear. It comes in "medium" and "polar" weights. It is more comfortable than the Carhart thermal underwear, but the Carhart U/W is equal or slightly warmer than the "medium" poly, IMO.
Fleece (one of the greatest things ever for cold weather) pants under nylon snow or ski pants will be flexible (enough for skiing, etc) and worn between the poly and the ski/snow pants work well and are very comfortable.
Carhart "Arctic" overalls for the next level of warmth and heavy enough for work.
Insulated jumper/coveralls with hood for brutal cold
Arctic weight down coat w/ fur rimmed hood.
Polartec fleece between shirt and jackets/coats of different weights is incredibly warm!
Down vest under coat...very light weight and very warm.
Arctic pack boots with removeable felt liners
mittens w/ hand warmer pockets in them
Face mask with Windstop.
An old fashioned scarf is pretty danged nice!!!!

Good subject. I'm always interested in how to be comfortable in cold weather without looking like the kid in the movie "Christmas Story" that was so bundled up he couldn't put his arms down! I guess of late I've really focused on all this fleece stuff, especially as middle layers is reaaaly effective, IMO. And...There is nothing like wool to keep ya warm, even when it gets wet. pretty tough to beat it, even with all these spiffy new fabrics.

Now, I'll sit back and take notes!!

P.

#6 ·
Cold Weather Gear

A lot depends upon what you call "cold"-since it's all relative.

I will tell you that I bought Gore-Tex ski pants and a ski Gore-Tex jacket, neither are lined. At 20 degrees, I can troll in my boat and stay warm, with nothing under my jeans but me. I do wear an old lightweight flight jacket under the coat, but that's it. Bought 'em off of eBay at a very good price...and bought a second set for my son.

If it's 15 degrees or so, I'll put on a pair of medium weight polyproplyene under my jeans. It's amazing how warm it is under a pair of ski pants...

#7 · (Edited)
Cabela's did drop those coveralls from their catalog for some unknown reason. If anyone is interested, I've got a pair of the Cabela's insulated coveralls in size large regular that I'm selling. They are unblemished outside, but there's two small holes in the lining, due to dryer heat. I've only worn them a few times and just had them cleaned. I'm asking $75 shipped, due to the fact that they are a heavy/bulky item. mivhntrAThotmail.com Replace the AT with @ for email TIA MI VHNTR

#10 ·
You're right-my loss-its discontinued. I would buy the above mentioned if it was in a tall. Is anyone using anything thats currently being carried in the catalog? They have lots of choices: Walls, 10X, MT050, etc. The Sleeping Indian jacket doesn't block the wind as its reps. say it does, thats why i won't consider the "on stand bibs" for another $489.00 like he suggests. My Kestrel might be off, but my goosebumps dont lie. Colder winter here in Il.-but just as windy.

#11 ·
What are the Snow Shadow Coveralls made of? Cotton/poly-gore-tex-hush weave-box quilted? I'm trying to find something as close to the original as possible so i can order it. Pattern/color make no difference-have white sheet. MI VHNTR-I'm 6' 2" - would these fit me?

#13 ·
Here's the info from the label on the coveralls.
Shell:65% Polyester 35% Cotton
Lining:100% Nylon
Insulation:100% Polyester

The coveralls have a waterproof coating of some kind on them. I've never gotten wet while using them, even after sitting in the snow. The current Cabela's catalog shows that size Large is for up to 6' 0". I really can't say if the extra 2" of your height would make a difference. MI VHNTR

#14 ·
Re Cold weather gear

a friend of mine used the UnderArmour underwear during deer season this year and said he won't use anything else now. Kept him warm and after walking several miles was warm and dry even though the outside of the shirt was damp with sweat. Kinda spendy though about $105 for top and bottoms.

Jim

#15 ·
Don't forget your ears....

The best thing I have found to keep ears warm are the electronic ear muffs with a hat. One can still hear well, but you might have to let them breathe from time to time to let the sweat dry out. My daughters and I wear them all day outside hunting or on the outdoor ranges around.
I agree that "under armor" is VERY good! I often wear a couple layers of that and a fairly light coat (maybe a fleece jacket if it's below zero) and I'm good for the day. I have hunted in wind chills of 80 below and stayed toasty. I refuse to spend hundreds on a single jacket when layers of that cling tightly to my body, and work better at less cost. And to top it off, it will work well for any ourdoor activity!

Steven

#17 ·
I just got back from Alberta, Canada on Saturday, after hunting coyotes for 5 days. The temps were from about 19 F degrees on Monday, to -7 F degrees on Thurday afternoon. I had on Cabelas heavyweight thermals that I have had for years that work great in cold weather, and the Under Armour Cold Gear top & bottoms. This was the second time that I have worn the Under Armour and for the $125.00 that they cost I wasn't impressed at all. On Monday morning I had on Cabelas thermals but was a little cold, mostly from not having a beanie on under my balaclava. The cold breeze was blowing in the opening and making my head cold, I have very short hair shaved with a #2. So we stopped back by the house and I grabbed my beanie and decided to throw on the Under Armour under the Cabelas thermals. I figured with both sets on I would be sweating, but with the Under Armour on under the Cabelas thermals it really made no difference. I felt the same with just the Cabelas thermals on. The only other time I wore the Under Armour was in the desert in California it was probably 35 degrees and they were brand new so I wasn't sure what to expect but I sure wasn't warm .

FWIW
Blair

#18 ·
screw fashion and big brand names

check out garage sales and ebay, last years latest and greatest camo and cold weather gear will be on sale soon, also thrift stores. Put and ad in the thrifty nickel papers. New designs are pure marketing, they want you to feel deprived if you don't have their best. Take a peek into Cabela's bargain cave. Stores will be putting winter gear on sale soon, they don't want to carry it over. Don't waste your money on electric stuff, the little instant handwarmer packets are ok, but not worth the money as they soon feel cold even when they are still putting out some heat.

Military surplus like cheaper than dirt, etc. Always do layers, several thin will win out everytime over one big and bulky.

I work outside in all kinds of cold weather. Keep your feet, hands and head as your thermostats, if you start getting warm, uncover or unzip or take your hat off. When you are in a vehicle turn the heater low enough so you can leave your coats on, even if you need to roll the window down or turn on the fresh air vent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.