Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nebraska passed their concealed carry law - it went into effect on Jan 1. Permits are being issued as of Wednesday, first day of biddness for state offices... I'm in no hurry to get mine, but it is on my list of "things to do"

question is -

What Gun?

I have a Taurus 22LR semi auto with standard mags

I have a Ruger 9mm semi auto with high capacity mags

I have a Glock 40 cal semi auto with high capacity mags

I have a Colt Gold Cup 45 CAP with 8 round mags

I have a S&W 44 Mag / Spl revolver - 6 shot 5" barrel

I have a Colt Python .357 Mag / .38 Spl revolver - 6 shot 6" barrel

With all these handguns, why do I find myself wanting something else? I'm thinking of a 5 shot revolver in 44 Spl or 45 LC, maybe a 2" or 3" barrel... I'm a big guy, with fairly large hands. The other option near the top of the list is one of those little taurus .38 Spl with the bobbed hammer 2" barrel.

Thoughts? Things to consider? just trying to get a dialog going here, not looking to debate the whole idea of CCW permits.....

-niv

·
Registered
485 Posts
Big Slow Bullet

I think it was on this forum, but I could be wrong, there was a link
to a thread on another site, that had a autopsy technician describing
what he saw in gunshot deaths. He said the Gang Bangers used
9mm, and he saw the 9mm round glancing off bones, rather than
breaking them. I think this person was also a former police officer.
Anyway, his recommendation was to carry a .45 ACP launcher, if
one could handle it well. I think he thought a .357 Mag was a good
revolver round, but he didn't see many gunshot deaths by .357 anymore,
due to the current semi-auto pistol rage. So when/if Wisconsin ever
gets CCW by the current flood of liberals in the Assembly, and our
"fine" Democrat Govenor, I will be looking at an XD-45, or maybe
a 1911 Compact, since the 1911 and I are soul mates:D

Squeeze

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Joe,

I always say "If I knew I were going to a gunfight (well, first of all, I probably wouldn't go!) I would take a 12 ga shotgun and a .45ACP.

And many will say to never carry a caliber less than .40. Indeed, the .40, .44, and .45 are superb choices. NOT bad advice.

BUT, in our daily lives, it may not be easy to conceal a larger caliber - even the compact models.

And, of course, the first rule is "have a gun." The .32, .38, or even the .25 or .22 ON YOUR PERSON is better than the .45 left in the nightstand or under the seat in your vehicle.

What the heck? Get a big bore for carry when circumstances/weather/wardrobe will allow and get a small bore (mouse gun?) for those other circumstances where is just isn't easy/feasible to conceal the big bore.

Not everyone will agree. But thats my ever so humble opinion! Ha.

Perhaps there are those that CAN and DO carry a big bore day in/day out, in all climates and all social situations. But I would be willing to wager there are many that leave that big bore at home or in their vehicle when a smaller firearm would fit the bill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thats great that Nebraska became a shall issue state. I believe theres only a couple states left don't allow CC. Now if all the states will honor CCW from other states, that would be nice but more than likely won't happen.

I have a permit to carry concealed. I have a few different guns that I use. A Glock 22 in 40 S&W, a Springfield Armory XD in 357 Sig and a model 60 in 38 special. Any of these will work in most situations. I've been thinking of buying a compact 1911 in 45 ACP with Crimson Trace laser grips, this would handle all situations as long as you had plenty of extra mags.

As long as you find something you are comfortable shooting, shoot accurately and buy a GOOD holster to secure it in, thats what is most important.

Whatever you choose to carry is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Do I ever agree with this. The best carry gun is one you WILL carry. I've seen any # of folks who chose 45's and other large calibers, but after a few months that get really tired of toting that big sucker around.

Also, you should consider the fact that if it's a "good shoot", you better be close enough to nearly touch the perp with the muzzle and even then it will be debated whether or not you were threatened.

All that being said, I'd suggest you consider one of the small automatics. I've carried a Kel-Tec 32 for as long as TN has allowed me to carry (with the exception of the first couple of months). If I am anything other than my underwear, I have it on my person, even at home. It won't take down a bear, but I will have it on me at all times.

Rick

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Strongly agree with Varminter22 and Greyfox

I strongly agree with Varminter22 and Greyfox. I have carried concealed off and on since the mid-eighties. My carry piece has constantly gotten smaller and lighter. I carry the Kel-Tec 380 now when I do carry. Once in a blue moon I carry the .45 Commander but it is for a very short time and when I don't really care if someone knows I am carrying or not.

You do have more cool weather than I do but regardless of concealment something that is heavy or that digs into your hide will be carried less than something that you can truly forget is there. If you are constantly aware of your carry piece it is too big and awkward.

Hu

Hi Joe,

I always say "If I knew I were going to a gunfight (well, first of all, I probably wouldn't go!) I would take a 12 ga shotgun and a .45ACP.

And many will say to never carry a caliber less than .40. Indeed, the .40, .44, and .45 are superb choices. NOT bad advice.

BUT, in our daily lives, it may not be easy to conceal a larger caliber - even the compact models.

And, of course, the first rule is "have a gun." The .32, .38, or even the .25 or .22 ON YOUR PERSON is better than the .45 left in the nightstand or under the seat in your vehicle.

What the heck? Get a big bore for carry when circumstances/weather/wardrobe will allow and get a small bore (mouse gun?) for those other circumstances where is just isn't easy/feasible to conceal the big bore.

Not everyone will agree. But thats my ever so humble opinion! Ha.

Perhaps there are those that CAN and DO carry a big bore day in/day out, in all climates and all social situations. But I would be willing to wager there are many that leave that big bore at home or in their vehicle when a smaller firearm would fit the bill.

·
Registered
321 Posts
One major thing to consider is....

how to carry what you decide to carry.

Having carried concealed as a LEO and a civilian one of the keys to concealed carry is the word concealed. With the right holster, you can carry that 6 inch Colt as easy as a J-Frame Smith.

Hundreds of people will tell you which is the best holster to use by what holster maker based on their experiences. Nothing wrong with that, but that is like someone telling you that only one handgun is the best of the hundreds of styles and types out there. It just might not fit your situation.

And just because you see ads in magazines touting their holsters does not make them the best. They just paid for the ad space.

IMO, the best holster does not advertise. He doesn't have too. His government contracts alone provides him with a decent income. And every student to attend the FBI Academy uses his holsters, mag puches, and handcuff cases. What they use after graduation is up to them.

On item I strongly recommend is that you do not fall into the Paddle Holster trap. Sure, it is easy to remove it and weapon from your body when not needed. And it certainly protects the handgun. But unless you are wearing real bulky clothing, it will print. And Printing is telling everyone you are carrying.

My wife wears a holster that is simple to install to the belt without undoing the belt and pays the weapon tight to the body. The holster does not shift position during carry. This is important cause a holster will shift when setting and standing. It is bothersome and the last thing you need to be doing is adjusting it's position after getting up from dinner in a resturant.

When we worked the Tulsa Gunshows, she'd wear her rig under a dark, printed t-shirt. No one knew she was carrying unless she told them. Even then they usually did not believe her until she raised up her shirt to show them her Browning BDM with a 15 round mag in it.

BTW......we were selling Concealed Carry Holsters. And did quite well.

OK... so I have spouted much and said some of what I think.

But give plenty of consideration to whose holster you buy, cause how well you carry and mean the difference between walking away or being carried away from a bad situation.

Might I suggest this website to give you an idea of what true quality holsters are?

http://www.miltsparks.com/

No, it was not his holsters I was selling, but Tony Kannaly, who owns Milt Sparts, is a very good friend of his. Give Tony a call, talk to him about your thinking and needs. I'm sure he'd be glad to give you what time he has to help.

Also, try the 1911 Forum. Look for Lou Alessi. He is a former LEO and comes from a family of shoe makers. Talk about a man who understands concealed carry and the quality of leather work. He is also a gentleman who will try to anser all your questions. And you can tell him a crazy old Marine from Oklahoma sic'd you on him.:D

I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I carry a 44 sp 2", 5 rd in my drivers door/3 speed loaders, 215 sthp bullets. It is a easy gun to slip in your rear pocket. Another carry for me if wearing a coat is a 1911 tricked out 45acp with many clips. Ruger is now making the "Alaskan" in 44 mag. I believe the 44 sp loaded with a good hard cast 240 bullet getting out -1000fps in a 2.5"-4" barrel is a great carry gun, on the street or in the field. I would go for the Ruger and trade in the Taurus 2" (if they will take it).
Jim

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've got a Taurus just like you describe, and I shoot it VERY well. But, with grips big enough to fit my hand it's damn near the exact same size as my Browning High Power! Let's see, 5 rounds of .38 Special or 15 rounds of 9mm? Hmmmm....

Of the guns you mentioned, I'd try the Glock .40. Or the Gold Cup.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Compare these two for size

Joe, here is a photo of a Sig P239 .40 S&W lying on top of a Tanfoglio Witness 9mm. The Tanfoglio is a clone of the CZ 75.

A view from behind to compare thickness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
concealed carry choice

You will have to make your decision depending on your personal situation,.I've carried for almost 50 years, most of the time. For me it's the Smith Light Weight Body Guard with plus P 38 Cal. Smith makes one even lighter now as does Tarus and even Charter Arms. It's not something you are going to shoot thousands of rounds through. You already have some good ones for that. What ever you do, get one you can carry and it will be CONCEALED. Good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I carry a 44 sp 2", 5 rd in my drivers door/3 speed loaders, 215 sthp bullets.
Jim
Bingo. My carry gun is an original Charter Arms Bulldog .44 with a 2 1/2" heavy barrel. It weighs exactly 1 pound 11.3 ounces loaded and in its Roy's pancake holster. I never feel it when I wear it, it will end any argument right NOW, and is both accurate and totally reliable.

Oh, and the sight of those great big silver bullets from the business end is intimidating, to say the least! :eek:

Original Charter Bulldogs are a bit hard to find (and you should insist on the original ones, not the very different Charter 2000 creations) but if you do find one, snap it up. And wear it with confidence.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
When it's hard to carry I slip a 5-shot .38 snubby in my jeans pocket. When I'm wearing a loose shirt I carry a compact 9mm DA pistol in a paddle holster on my kidney. When I'm really stuck I'll wear the revolver on my ankle but that would be a last resort. I carry a gun nearly all day of every day of life, it needs to be as familiar as a money clip or car keys. You'll get tired of carrying a big gun REALLY quickly, even if you have the clothing to conceal it. Ask people who carry concealed guns for a living and I'll bet most would recommend a .38 or .357 snubby revolver. Remember this, you will be carrying to DEFEND yourself, the first two rules of self-defense are RUN and HIDE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not a (very) big guy and I fall squarely on the side of getting one you don't mind carrying. I have a Kel-tec P3-AT .380 and a Walther PPK-S as my primary carry guns. Many will knock the .380, but with good ammo, it's one shot kill rate is really pretty good. Note the ammo - IMHO this is as important as the gun and deserves considerable attention as well. Having said this, a compact .45, being as thin as it is can be a very good and comfortable choice. I also have a Republic Arms Patriot .45 "car gun" that I can carry out if I feel the need, it's just not quite as comfortable as the Walther. For someone of your size, a compact Glock in .40 is a pretty good choice; but for the money the Kel-tec .380 is a great second purchase, given whatever you choose for the first (tho older ones may need a replacement extractor for reliability). You can hide it anywhere so it will be there - even if you chose not to carry your primary. I don't always pack the Walther, but the KT stays in the car and can always be dropped into a pocket or with with optional clip, just slid inside the pants.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh yes...

forgot to mention that I agree with an earlier post. I have a Milt Sparks holster for the PPK-S. It takes awhile to get it but they make great holsters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Of the ones you already have, I would go for the glock to carry, and the colt 45 staying in the truck. Right now I carry a kimber cdpII most of the time, sometimes my amt 45 backup, which fits well in my back pocket. Used to use my colt agent 38 with super vel ammo, but it should really have the hammer bobbed to be a good carry weapon. Also tried my bobcat 32, but it just feels so puny. I just really like my .45s, wish they could come out with something on the order of the backup but in a single action auto type.
Barry

·
Registered
726 Posts
Joe, you do need another handgun

because it sounds like you don't have anything appropriate currently for effective concealed carry.

Ruger autos are all pretty large. And which Glock Model do you have? If it is either the 22 or 23, they are both quite bulky to carry, despite their light weight. I tried carrying a Glock 19, and found it way too large.

So unless you want to go with your little .22 Taurus auto, you need to get something new.

Now one of the real lightweight Taurus 2 inch snubbie .38's would be a good solution. But even better, in my opinion, are the lightweight Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO autos. They are available in 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP

These are quite lightweight ( 9mm and .40 S&W weigh 18.6 oz ) and compact. The 9mm holds 12 rds in the magazine, the .40 holds 10 ) The .45 version is available as a 6 shot mag compact version ( weight 20.8 oz ) and larger 10 shot mag model ( weight 22.2 oz )

I have large hands myself, and I went with the .40 caliber model. It fits my hand very well, as you can see here:

Although the gun looks large in this photo, it actually conceals rather easily in an inside the pants holster.

Anyway, do check these autos out also, and see what you think. Using lighter weight high velocity bullets will lower the total weight of your pistol. I have 10 135 gr .40 caliber rounds in my Taurus, which sure beats 5 .38 Special rounds.

If you decide you would like to get a really small .380, I would recommend finding a Colt Mustang or Government Model .380 These were discontinued in 1997 But they are tiny litte 1911's, that are super easy to conceal. They are expensive, though. But I would trust my life with one.

By the way, how much money do you want for your Colt Python and S&W .44? I will be happy to take both of them off your hands for you. They would both look really great in my gun collection.

So please let me know how much money you would like for each of them. :D

Lance in Oregon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kel Tec 380

It's just like having an extra wallet in your pocket. I also reccomend the Uncle Mike's pocket holster to go with it. Carrying big heavy 45's is a MAJOR PAIN and you will soon tier of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 6-1 about 250 :D and carry a GLOCK 23. On occassion, I have carried my G-22. From your picture, my guess would be that concealment shouldn't be too big of a problem.;) A good IWB (inside waist band) holster with light cover (t-shirt) in summer and whatever is comfortable in other seasons works great for me. My daily carry is the G-23 in a Bladetech IWB. Since it is their "one size fits all" model, it also works on my G-22 or G-27.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts