Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old style Contender, rim/center-fire selecter switch is INSIDE the hammer, the gun is beautiful, boyds nutmeg (brown/brown laminate) carbine and beavertail forend set, Tru-Oil finished, had trigger work done, breaks CLEAN at about 2# with zero overtravel or creep. Contender factory bull, gloss .17hmr, 23 inch barrel, less than one box through it; I sighted it in. Wears weaver base/rings and a Cabelas Pine Ridge "Tactical 17" scope, I believe 4-12 power x 40mm obj. I have a baby on the way and need to part with it. Any suggestions as to a price? I was probably going to place it on gunbroker unless someone hear wants it. Any price suggestions/takers?

-Joe

·
Registered
954 Posts
contender

I parted out a few of the contender carbines after I kind of lost interest in them. I think you are better off breaking it up. The 17 HMR barrel and boyd stock will sell in classifieds. The clean used easy open bare frames I sold went for $200.
Parting out is better for you.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Funny you should bring up a Contender. I went to the new Bass Pro shop in San Antonio yesterday to see what they have. In the "Fine Guns" room was a used Contender. It was a clean looking old model with the Puma on the side of the frame and was in 7-30 Waters in a 10" barrel. Nothing outstanding about the gun but it was in it's own walnut and glass case. They wanted $999.00 for it. I have one just like it with another 6 barrels with the SSK trigger set and hammer set. I'm thinkin' maybe I need to take it to them to see what they offer for mine.
I would suggest looking on Auction Arms or one of the online auction places to see what they are going for. Or take it to your nearest Bass Pro shop.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Funny you should bring up a Contender. I went to the new Bass Pro shop in San Antonio yesterday to see what they have. In the "Fine Guns" room was a used Contender. It was a clean looking old model with the Puma on the side of the frame and was in 7-30 Waters in a 10" barrel. Nothing outstanding about the gun but it was in it's own walnut and glass case. They wanted $999.00 for it. I have one just like it with another 6 barrels with the SSK trigger set and hammer set. I'm thinkin' maybe I need to take it to them to see what they offer for mine.
I would suggest looking on Auction Arms or one of the online auction places to see what they are going for. Or take it to your nearest Bass Pro shop.

Just make sure you pay attention to what one sells for, not what they're asking for it....

In the last few years, contender prices have not been good for sellers. The Encore system which will handle higher pressure rounds as well as the pistol cals have been killing interest in the Contender.

I know several guys that have taken baths selling them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts