Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have been bitten hard by the Contender bug. Bought a used frame this summer and a 17 HMR rifle barrel from Sonny Pruit. I picked up a 7mm International Rimmed pistol barrel and dies that shoots incredible, and most recently a 10" 7 TCU barrel, which I've only fireformed brass with open sights. My thoughts are to keep one of the pistol barrels and trade/sell the other.

I have the "hot, running wants" for a 17 Ackley Hornet (or 17 mach IV/FB) 14" pistol barrel to use for fox calling at night. Seeing as this is not a current TC caliber I'm left with 2 options. First, buy a custom barrel or second, buy a 17HMR or HM2 barrel and rechamber it. Moneywise, I think I'd be about the same. Anybody ever hear of Coyote Guns and do they sell a good product? Been looking at their website and their prices don't look too bad.

I have this idea in my head that I'd put a barrel mounted laser on it, under the barrel. Simply hit the laser switch and put it on the fox and shoot. Realistically, I'd be shooting a MAX distance of about 50 yards, which is probably the limit of the laser anyway. I'm figuring a 20 gr vmax or Berger would be the ticket for foxes, without ruining the hides.

Any thoughts?

Charlie

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well Charlie, I'm a Contender nut with a 17 in the middle of your range, and a fair bit of nighttime fox hunting here in central PA. We usually hunt as a two man team with one guy carrying a 12 Ga and one guy carrying a rifle for the ones that hold up out of range. Around here your 50 yard MAX might be just a little short. Generally the smart ones hang up just out of shotgun range at 40 - 60 yards.

My 17 is the Hebee (maxed out 218 Bee case) and the 20 gr Vmax is the only bullet I've worked up a load for. Never checked it, but the load data says 3900 fps. The main reason I still have this barrel is because I keep saying I'll take it fox hunting some day, but I'm not so sure about that. That Vmax will make one hell of a mess if you hit anything where its thin enough to break back out. I suspect it would be just as deadly and a little less explosive at lower velocity, like from the hornet case.

I shot 23 groundhogs with a .22 Mag this summer, and its probably the first rifle I'd grab for a fox hunt. I aim for the diaphram, and when the shot feels good, they are DRT. No flippin, floppin, crawlin, bleedin, or tail spinnin. Yup, I've become a big fan of the 22 Mag.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Random thoughts

For close range fox, I wonder how a 22 Magnum firing 22 WRF would work.

Another thought is the 25-20 with 87 gr at about 1400 or less.

All I read about fox emphasizes how delicate they are compared to a coyote, but I have never even seen, much less shot one, except for seeing kit fox in the SW desert.

Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts