Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got it bad in one of my rifles.

It is a Remington XR 100 in 204. After shooting 30-40 rds it takes well over an hour to clean it out. I've used many copper solvents with similar results, they all work the same (that I've used) I don't have a problem with any other rifle I own. I've fired about 500 rds. through this factory barrel.

I can only assume that I've got a rough barrel. Is there anything I can do with it?

My next option would be to rebarrel. What would it run to have a Shilen or similar quality barrel installed? Any smith you can recommend? Whats to be expected with a custom barrel as far as fouling is concerned?

Thanks
Hawkeye

·
Registered
460 Posts
How does it shoot now?

Copper fouling...
I can only assume that I've got a rough barrel. Is there anything I can do with it?

Thanks
Hawkeye
First of all, if it shoots good now, leave it alone unless it just bugs you to the extent you foam at the mouth while watching the radio instead of TV.

If you feel you need to do something for accuracy, there are some "abrasive coated bullets" that can be shot through a barrel, known as "fire-lapping". There are a lot of opinions on whether that works well enough to be of any benefit, but some have said it worked in dire situations. That said, I don't know that these systems have been developed for a 204 as yet.

On the other hand, even though it is fouling now, barrel can break-in over time, say even after several hundred rounds of shooting and cleaning, which brings us back to the first point.

So, how does it shoot now?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Copper Fouling

I have two of those, one in .223 and a .308, the bore in the .308 looks like they cut the rifling with a hacksaw, one round would copper plate it. I will be taking it back to Gander Mountain tomorrow and if they can't fix it Remington told GM would send it back to them for repair. The lady I talked to at Remington said they would do whatever it takes to make it right. Give them a call and tell them the problem.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shoots pretty good. It likes the 32 gr. vmaxs the best, usually around .750 with 5 shots if I do my part. Everything else is hovering around the 1" mark or better. Accuracy is better before the copper starts piling up.

I'm satisfied with the accuracy, just hate scrubbing that barrel.
I keep thinking the barrel will smooth out.
I've ran a few patches of Flitz down the barrel a few times, this seems to remove the copper the best. Not sure if it will damage the barrel though?

I read an article a while back in some gun rag about fire-lapping with Flitz or some other rubbing compound. Just dip the bullet tip into the cleaner and shoot it, scrub the barrel and repeat the process a couple times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not "dip a bullet into a cleaning compound and shoot it". If you have not tried JB Bore paste, I suggest you do so. I have personally seen a few throats ruined with "firelapping". Others swear by it. In my shop you are looking at $450-$525 to have a new SS Match barrel installed. Depending on whose barrel you want to use.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweets

I read the posts and did not see Sweets mentioned. Very strong stuff.I once had a 22-250 in stainless barrel that I used Sweets in after each time it was used. Put it in wait a couple minutes and push it out. Repeat as needed. A few people I know use Isso(spelling???) as a regular cleaner to keep the copper down.
jerrold:D :D :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hawkeye:
I have a couple of barrels that drove me up the wall with the jacket fouling until I got my hands on the Wipe-out. Get a 7 or 8 inch nylon tubeing ;slip it over the nozzle and hold the tubeing tight against the chamber throat when you apply. Good stuff.
Chan.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sweet's/Ammonia

I read the posts and did not see Sweets mentioned. Very strong stuff.I once had a 22-250 in stainless barrel that I used Sweets in after each time it was used. Put it in wait a couple minutes and push it out. Repeat as needed. A few people I know use Isso(spelling???) as a regular cleaner to keep the copper down.
jerrold:D :D :D
I use Sweets a lot and have never had any trouble, but some people disagree with the ammonia in a barrel. The other problem is the smell, which others find offensive, but I find it wakes me up. Have to wait for warmer weather for that though. No one wants lingering in the house.

G

·
JB does provide some polishing effect, and may help. Firelapping tends to cause a bit more throat damage than I would prefer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Factory barrels can really suck.

Flitz won't really hurt your factory barrel. As was mentioned, firelapping works, but it does lengthen throats. Anymore, any factory barrel gets a serious scrubbing with Flitz. Several hundred passes, "reloading" about every 10 strokes or so, and concentrating on "tight spots".

After that, cleaning with Wipe-out. It has improved my life substantially. JMO, Dutch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would either:

a) just clean with Wipe-out, esp if you are happy with the accuracy and don't want to play with the barrel.

b) polish with JB compound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts