Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't need to tell me where except maybe general area within a state but do any of you out there have good bunny rabbit concentrations. They are and have been scarce here in Eastern KS for years and just don't seem to make a come back. Probably because of all the coyotes and Red Tail hawks. I used to really enjoy hunting them but you would starve to death living off of them now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
we had LOTS of

cottontails around this summer.The most i saw,in the yard,at one time was 11.
Oreo got so tired of chasing them and he'd just ignore them.
I haven't seen many since winter got here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chester, it is the same in the Topeka Area

I have not been on a good bunny hunt for over 10yrs. I remember 20 or so yrs ago shooting over 50 in one day, thats the day I got good at skinning rabbits without getting fur on the meat, LOL. I had to shoot 2 that were ravaging the garden last year, I almost felt bad doing it.

Keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mississippi Rabbits

A few years ago I knew a couple of different fellows with fine rabbit dogs and we had some great hunts. We hunted swamps and hills and killed a bigger rabbit than a cottontail. These bigger rabbits from the hills were called hillbillies and the ones from the swamps were called canecutters - could be the same rabbit, but definitely MUCH larger than a cottontail. 3 of these whoppers in a game bag was a load. Our best hunts came from areas of thinned hardwood timber before the tops rotted down. The rabbits were thick in these areas. We mostly hunted late January - February after the deer season. Most cottontails we killed were on the way back to the truck around the edge of soybean fields. But come to think of it, I just don't see the rabbits like I used to. At night, you would see rabbits all up and down any road, but I do see more coyotes and foxes. Guess I need to make a special effort after deer season to re-balance the ecosystem.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am sure that a lot of it is the increase in coyotes and hawks. On my farm I never burn brush piles and leave them for the various game animals. I hope to convert some of the pastures back to native grasses in the next year or two.

I don't know if it is a Kansas only or a Federal program but here in Kansas we have a government sponsored program which takes an amount of land around the edges of row cropped fields out of production and helps pay to plant it in native grasses. My neighbor has had several fields in this program and after only a few years he is starting to see covies of quail which did not exist before the program.

Hopefully all wildlife will benefit from programs such as this. As all of you know hunting/farmland is drying up every where. I'm afraid that kids being born today will never have the privilege of having a place to hunt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Rabbit populations

A couple(2yrs) of years ago I was driving out in your area and then down through Oklahoma and into TX. Never in my life have I ever seen so many Hawks. It was ungawdly the number just along the Interstates. I was in Oklamhoma and counted 12 consecutive power poles with Hawks setting on top of them. I saw birds of prey that I didn't even recognize due to the geographic differences in species from here on the East Coast. Amazing, I think there in lies your problem, not so much the coyote. Birds of Prey are protected, coyotes ain't!

·
Registered
11 Posts
this year has been kinda slow. been out almost every weekend since deer season's been over....think we've gotten 10-15 maybe. last year we got close to 50-60 but we also havent had good trackin snow this year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also live in Kansas (NE) and am a farmer also.We see lots of rabbits during harvest. But the damn hawks kill them as fast as we harvest. What burns me is when a hawk flies down and kills one, sees another and flies over and kills it with out even eating on the first one. When you have 10-20 hawks flying over head they decimate the rabbits. Would love to see a open season on hawks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.