Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a photo I took of a Cougar track when hunting Bear this year in Central Washington..I don't know much about telling a cats size by it's track.Thought I could get some input from you guys that have spent time chasing them,I used my hand as a comparison to give a general measure to the size of the track.I have run across allot of cat tracks here in Washington but this I believe is the largest I have run into.....

Cougar track picture...

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/landonmoses/SSPX0120.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Couger is the OTHER white meat!

He`s a young tasty one. Unless your hand is 1 foot wide, he`s a small cat. I`ve seen a lot of dead ones on dog hunts but cannot seem to connect with a "Called" cat. Probably 80 lbs give or take. The big one that comes through every few weeks will match your hand. There must be 30 or 40 guys I know looking to hang his hide. The folks that have seen him say he is every bit as big as the cat in this pic. Look at the paw in the pic and Jim`s hand......
A BRUTE!

I`ll get a pic of his track next time to prove it as I know cash talks and bullshit walks. He didn`t leave a track this last snowfall (surprisingly) on our mountian, but my son and I saw him this last summer for 3 seconds and we were speechless. Too bad we were in the truck climbing the hill. He was sunning above the switchback so no chance to get him.
All I know is that he looks like an African lioness in size. I`d give up hunting forever to have a loaded gun and a clear shot at him. Don`t know how I could ever top that...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ya, he`s a dandy too

Did you get a story on the kill? Looks like a 145-155 or so. He`s healthy (or was) and well furr`d.
Just heard a few minutes ago someone hit a monster with a car tonite. Busy trying to get details. Better not have run over my "Mt Everest"!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the details that were with the pic.....

We got up at 3am, loaded up some snowmobiles and went looking for a Lion track to chase with a couple of hounds. I never dreamed the day would turn out the way it did.
I took this huge Kitten with Luke’s .357 revolver. We walked up on a cliff and he was straight out looking at us in the top of a tree. We were able to get some good pictures before he got very mad and leaped. The live picture is from only 10 yards away. The dogs chased him up another tree and I shot him about 60 feet up. It was a quite an experience being that close to such a predator. It was neat watching the dogs run down the track and within 30 minuets they started barking like mad and this signals that they had him treed. They went all the way down in the bottom of a steep and deep canyon so it took us a couple hours to get to him. It was on the Snake River breaks and its nasty country and covered with 3-8" of powdery snow. This is on of the largest Tom my friends have treed and they estimated him to be around 170 lbs. as you can see it was all I could do to lift him up.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The 125# tom I petted a couple of years ago in Montana would have left a lot bigger track than that.His paws where easily as big as my hands.Man can they purr,he sounded like a diesel runnin.
Not sure I would want one fer a pet though as just playing he was a handfull!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.