Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Have any of you killed a coyote with the Hornady 52 gr. A-Max out of a HIGH velocity 22? My 22-250 has a 28" barrel and shoots the Sierra 55 gr. Gamekings @ 3850 and they go into a ragged hole. However they are a little rough on fur. I want to know if the 52 V-Max traveling @ 220 Swift velocities is fur friendly.

Thanks,
Kirk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hand Grenades??

Hey Guys,
Have any of you killed a coyote with the Hornady 52 gr. A-Max out of a HIGH velocity 22? My 22-250 has a 28" barrel and shoots the Sierra 55 gr. Gamekings @ 3850 and they go into a ragged hole. However they are a little rough on fur. I want to know if the 52 V-Max traveling @ 220 Swift velocities is fur friendly.

Thanks,
Kirk
I think that the V-Max bullets may have designed for the "Exploding Varmint Video" contingent. If attempting to preserve fur, this is not the bullet I choose.

I prefer a hollow point. The 55 gn Sierra HP #1390 is a fairly friendly on fur. Bergers are also, but I haven't tried them in the 22 calibers, mostly the 20 calibers.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have had my best luck with

Remington 55g Power Lock Hollow Points. With this bullet I have killed 30 plus coyotes with excellent results. I am shooting a .220 Swift at close to max. Most are one entry hole with no exits. Coyotes usually drop in their tracks. Much better than any plastic tip bullet in my opinion for saving fur. Much better than 52g Speer HP also, didn't kill them as dead or took a little longer to expire.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
That what I Use...52 AMax

I have been using this bullet with a .22 BR for Coyote hunting for 2 years now. I think it may penetrate a little better than the 50g VMax; Never had an exit but if you are under 75 yards, you may have a trememdous entrance wound. I had a couple make a 2 or 3 inch hole or rip in the hide; looked like it was shot with a shotgun slug. I don't save fur; jsut kill'em. By the way I am using VV N 135 30.5 to 31.5 g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.