Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a hold of some new ground that see's 0 calling pressure and was rewarded with a few coyotes. The nights were below 0 and the days were in the 20's. Mostly used the overpriced Foxpro (according to VARminator). Coyotes came in fairly hard and each stand started with a couple of howls and then going to a distress sound. Didn't have any response to the vocalizations though. So lets go hunting......

First stand had this male come in hard and couldnt get him stopped. coyote turned and got him with a gut shot on the way out. Had to put another round in him to finish the job. Weighed in the mid 30's

In this stand, i set the caller in the middle of a dryed up stock pond and sat in a little pocket of sage on one side. I had heavy sage all around and was hoping to bring one out in the open for a shot. 8 minutes into the set using lightning Jack I saw a flash of white out in the sage. I turned the caller off and here he came out of the sage and heading right towwards me down wind of the caller. I was watching him through the scope and put my finger on the trigger and was waiting for the right time to shoot when the gun when off. luckily I nailed him in the chest but because of a poor shot had to put another one in him.

About a mile away set up on the edge of some sage and had this yearling pup come in from behind and to the right of me. he got out to the caller and a bark stopped him, but behind a clump of rabbit brush. Took the shot and down he went.

In this stand I was pretty much in the open but had some heavy rabbit brush i was calling towards. This male came from downwind with his nose in the air. A nice chest shot at 100 yards took this ole guy. He had a partner 800 yards behind him but couldnt get him to commit and after some warning barks i decided to collect my prize.

Had missed a coyote on the stand before this one and had my head hanging low because of a poor shot decision I should have never made, so i was looking at redeaming myself. Well the coyote gods must have felt sorry for me because not 3 minutes into my last stand of the day this very old male came in fast and stopped at 70 yards out.

It was a great day to be out and enjoyed the new ground as my coyote season is slowly coming to and end.....Brian

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What a great day Brian!!

And yep, ol' Jim and & I were just talking about you. Wondering if you got busy or were out afield on a three-day-calling binge! :D

For some reason, cold days walking out on ground like that are some of my best memories afield.

Good job/hunt/and pics. Hope you can get out a few more times this winter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good job Brian!

great story and pics. Keep up good work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Geez, save some for seed, will ya?

J/k - very nice post. Congrats on a fine day of calling. Boy, it would take me a week of Sundays to call in that many. For some reason, here in the east they don't come to the call all that frequently, at least in my experience. Mebbe I just suck. How long were your sets? What caliber? Enjoyed the post, Brian. Keep it up!

Vardoc

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's an awesome hunt! That looks like nice country...what's the white stuff? :)

Way to go,

Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, hey Jim, John and Vardoc

Im still alive, just been plugging away at the coyotes when i get the time. Some days are better than others. Vardoc, my sets were 15 minutes and most came in around 6-12 minutes and shooting a 17 rem. Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.