Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas time is here and I have lived through another year. My son Jess (who leaves for the US Army basic training and jump school next week) and I decided to spend some Quality time together before he departs. In this neck of the woods that means hunting and shooting; not messing around with some video game crap.

Today we decided to take the Rem 700 in .223 as I did not have any ammo loaded for the .22 BR twins. I had a bunch of 52g. Sierra Matchking left over from the Kentucky Top Gun Shoot and needed to get rid of it and load some VMax instead. Maybe not an ideal hunting bulet, but with Jess doing the gun work the bullet always seems to find the vital areas.

We cruised for Crows and Jess popped a few ranging from 206 to 250. He was batting a thousand as we shifted to Coyote gear. We called a few setups but got no takers in that department; sometimes you can catch one crossing an open field on a warm winter day but not today. The skys started to cloud over and the temperature headed toward the downside, so we headed toward home.

A few miles from home we were passing through farmland mixed with grown up fencerows and woodlots. Jess popped up out of his seat and started yelling "What's that??" and pointing to my left. I started scanning the timberline and finally spotted a reddish brown furry Varmit type critter jogging the treeline about 300 yards away. He said "Coyote", I said it looks more like a dog but he's getting away fast. I swung in a field entrance and told Jess to "hold on" and I would try to stop him for a look or a shot. I grabbed my Randy Anderson Litt'l Dog off the dash and started screaming some blood curdling dying critter distress as loud as I could. I said: "Don't shoot yet, he's going to stop for a look." About this time Jess said it was a Fox.

Folks, he stopped for about a half a second but then charged directly in our direction at a dead run. There was a depression in the field and he went out of sight into it; I said "Watch for him to pop up and then let him have it." He apparently slowed down to a jog when he went down in the low place as it took about 20 seconds for him to pop up on a knoll 110 yards out. I started to say "There he is" but only got the "There" out before the .223 cracked; I heard the bullet smack flesh and it seemingly made a louder sound than the muzzle blast. Jess is still batting a Thousand today as the Sierra really tore him up from a frontal shot. Foxes are definitely not as smart as Coyotes.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you think he ain't hit hard......

Here's the other side of the fox.. They are much more thin skinned and tender than the Coyotes...Remember this was a Sierra Matchking, not a Varmit bullet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good deal...Dead fox............

that's all that counts!

congrats on the shot! Next time shoot him with a 25/06 and post the pics....

Dead fox is all that counts!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Jr. better watch out now Danny knows where you live

and you know how much fun he had killing that one at Georges.HaHa Thanks for the story loved it. Tell Jess we said hi and hope we see him at the BBB or TG.

Donnie and the clan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts