Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we finished up our hunt this afternoon. Took in 5 coyotes and 2 fox. The winners were decided by the3 heaviest dogs of each team....we didn't place. First place had a total of 127 pounds of coyotes. There was a prize for most coyotes and one team brought in 24. They said they shot 20 on Friday night.

Our hunt didn't go as well butnwas fun. We got out about 6pm I think Friday night and ended up with 3 that night. We missed more than we hit due to my buddy's thermal scope being off. We zero'd it in again about 2 am with a hot hand. He was still missing.
I shot the first one that night and about 5am we dropped off one buddy and was going home. We decided to check hog barns one more time and seen a pair not far behind there. We pulled in and stopped way back and walked about 800yards to a fence row where we yipped and got their attention. My buddy left his rifle on the ground and did the calling and lip squeaked them in to one was about 40yards and the other about 70 yards. I was able to knock them both down .
Military camouflage Recreation Event Soil Landscape

That was it for Friday.
Saturday our first set did not produce anything. We stopped at a buddies house and walked back into his field 3 or 400 yards and started calling to a wooded area and sure enough here comes another double. They get to about 75 yards and I'm waiting on one guy to shoot while.im on my dog. He fires and then I do and missed. Coyote jumps and goes 20 yards and just sits down. I get on fur again and get that dreaded "click"....worst f#$sing sound you'll hear while hunting! Previous round fired left the case stuck in chamber and extractor slipped over the case head. Those 2 got away as my buddies thermal was messed up and trying to take pics and messing up his view in his scope so he missed too.
Ended up getting another coyote out in a field and was way out there and got stable and lined up and held on its head and fired and got a solid pop. Got out there and it was a good 250 yards.
Later we pulled into a guys place my buddy knows and while we're standing there I scan a field and see what appears to be a dog out there and ask if a neighbor has a dog over there. He said nope had to be a coyote! He had a bench by his barn so I sat down and fired and rolled it. We walk out there and at 170 yards lays a dam fox! They count as an extra pound on your total but didn't want to shoot one.
Road surface Asphalt Fawn Tail Wing

The last one of the night was again about 6 am. We pulled off and was in a field along the river. We called for just a second and I seen a hot spot that looked like it was on the bridge about 1/4 mile away. We blew it off as a sign since it sat still for about 10 minutes. My buddy does a few yips and barks and it disappeared into the tree line on the river. It popped out into the field 100 yards closer to us. I hit the rabbit call for a second and it came in from 4 or 500 yards on a rail and never stopped until it was 36 paces in front of us. One shot put her down.
Hunting Dog Vertebrate Mammal Carnivore

Here is another pic...my buddy took a selfie with red and blues in the background while we were pulled over! I was trying to remove the damn smudges from my glasses caused by the rubber boot on the thermal scope and swerved in my lane and got us held up about 10 minutes.
Mouth Beard Jaw Purple Eyewear

· Registered
7,485 Posts
Thanks for posting!
That was a lot of Coyotes in that pile... maybe you need to find a Buddy that has got his Stuff together before the Hunt? Where exactly was this?

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jr the hunt was put on by Highsmith guns in Greenfield IN. Coyote showdown on FB.
Usually he has his stuff together. We sighted that rifle in notnlong ago and my son used it when he was here and shot his coyote. When we took it out on a steel plate that night it was a foot left and a foot high at 50 yards. He hasn't had it out since my son used it. We think it just lost its zero some how as he said that's about where it was at when he first sighted it in.
He usually doesn't miss much at all. He was pretty upset about it for sure!
The team with 24 dogs were from down south...Clark County I think....they said they shot 20 on Friday night and only 4 on Saturday.
We're supposed to get some more snow this week so I'll be going back out if I don't get to feeling any worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts