Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got a LARGE coyote running the woods behind the house the last few days. I searched the local county Police web site and cannot find a thing about wether or not it is legal to shoot the yote. I ASSUME I could use a rimfire or shotgun such as is for "small game". The DNR website says we can use "anything" for yotes,,but I would assume COBB COUNTY would have 'other laws' that may over ride this "any weapon" rule. I am NOT in the city limits of any city.
Can I use my .17 Ackley Hornet to pop this big guy before he eats one of our miniature schnauzers?
Hate to admit this, but last nite after my neighbor called and said the yote was seen behind the houses,,I grabbed my bow [Switchback]and walked 45 yards back and squatted,,,started calling by mouth squeeking. Only 15 seconds and a RED FOX runs up to about 30 yards away and FREEZES when he looks at,,,well, not ME,,but our CAT that followed me and had sat beside me [10' away]! Both our cat and the male RED stared at each other. I'm thinking "gee, my neighbor doesn't know the difference between a fox and a yote".....WHEN,,,the fox looks to his left,,wide eyed,,and RUNS back into the woods. THEN,,the LARGE COYOTE runs from where the fox was looking,,AFTER the fox! I squeek again [really nervous now what with all the unexpected ACTION!] and the YOTE comes BACK and freezes broadside at about 30-35 yards. I take aim with the SB,,and MISS [ ]. I must have had "target panic" because I did NOT take time to do proper aim, what with FOX, COYOTE, and the CAT all running crazy around me!
I am now baiting - mixing canned cat food with hot water and throwing out in spot 65 yards from back porch [don't want him to be able to run off with a mouthfull]. This is to keep the yote in the vicinity, as he's been seen several times in the last week or two.
A 17 Ackley Hornet round could sure end all this quickly.
Anyone know the laws in these "archery only deer countys"?? Yotes and small game must allow some type of firearm.
I'm going to settle down and be more careful my next opportunity. I don't think the bow and trying to get that close again will work,,,,it "could" but I want to take THIS yote out,,,he's hanging too close to the house.
ps-cat food in hot water is working,,,just looked and the yote is eating at the 'bait spot'-gone by the time I get camera.
Think I may build a natural blind 25 yards away from the spot,,and keep sweetening the 'spot' with fish flavor cat food. Bow will do it. If he ever detects me,,the blind will probably be a 'dead' location for any further use and THAT coyote. In the meanwhile I'll try to find out more about what firearm I can LEGALLY use.
Here is the cat food slurry eater now,,,just saw him/her now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Alan, a subsonic 22 Long Rifle ......

inbetween the ribs is the answer. Remington's sub sonic HP are great for this. The run off, but dead on their feet.

The sub sonic's make so little noise that no one will hear it when it's winter time with the windows up, unless you live in a very high density housing neighborhood.

They will get your pets...take action!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may,,,,

I did that very thing about a year or so ago,,,80 yards behind where this one is. Ran off and never found him.
However,,I may get the 10/22 [heavy Shilen Match barrel] and make a head shot on this guy.
Actually I would like to 20 gr him with the 17AH, but I have one neighbor that might get upset at a shot. So I'm checking the local laws first.
Keeping him fed in the meanwhile.
Thanks,,,yours might be the suggestion taken.

·
Registered
71 Posts
coyotes love small dogs!

I can't speak for your area, but in North Carolina you could shoot him/her with any regular hunting gun. Coyotes are somewhat new and the counties haven't tried to supersede state laws. Save your pet!

·
Registered
431 Posts
17ah

I would think that the 17 would do an excellent job. I dropped on by accident with my 17hmr a couple years back. The yote jumped into the bullet path. No kidding . The Yote was bothering us @ lunch out in the field. I had Jack in the back of pickup and coyote keep running up to with in 35 yard of the pick up and taunting Jack. It would jump up and down , sideways and try to Jack to chase. I was going to fire a shot off just in front of it to make it high tail out of there. It jumped forward just as I pulled the trigger. Sort of pissed Jack off as he thought it was one of his buddies. Wife was not happy that I killed one of her rabbit eating friends .

·
Registered
3 Posts
John, How are things in Whiteville,hope to be there after Christmas. SeeYa, AHill

John Kennedy;447]I can't speak for your area, but in North Carolina you could shoot him/her with any regular hunting gun. Coyotes are somewhat new and the counties haven't tried to supersede state laws. Save your pet![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Blow his A$$ off.....worry about the law later...Who???ME??? officer I heard a shot also.... Police couldn't care less they just have to respond to a complaint and check it off.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah, pulling the trigger from inside the house...

would suppress the sound of the shot a bit, but you'd still hear the ballistic crack well outside. A Blue Dot or similar load would reduce that some too. I use CB caps in my 22LR in town to get skunks and other small vermin in our small yard - noiseless, but not very accurate, and won't necessarily drop them on the spot. Cupping the front of the bullet (homemade HP/flying ashtray) helps on explosiveness.

Holedigger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts