Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called in 4 last week and shot 4. A friend and I went out on Mon. and he had 2 come in on the down wind side. His 22-250 took care of them ;) But NO pic. of them I forgot to bring the camera :mad: Then on Tuesday I went out by myself just before dark and pulled in 2 males and put them down with the .204 :D I was a little worried for a min. because where I set up was a little brushy and I had to push that little 40gr. Berger threw some brush/tall weeds:eek: But It all worked out :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
.204 performance on yotes..your perspective..

Just wondering about your thoughts on the .204's performance on wild e coyote. I have yet to try mine, a little "reluctant", have had some "bad experiences" w/ the .223, and .22-250 (w/ poly tipped bullets). Good hunting!! Russ

·
Registered
65 Posts

I love the 204 Savage and the 204 round. I have taken many coyotes with this round using the hornady 32 grain bullet. It continues to amaze me the versality of the 20 caliber>. I have had shot as long as 300 yards and as close as 30 yards and have never had the bullet exit. I thank you for shareing your hunt. Ghost

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bam- Yes I guess you can call it a Sweatwater. I asked Dan Thompson to make my calling partner and I a shorter version of the Red Desert Howler about 4yr. ago while we were hunting the Tourney he sponsored in WY. The RDH works good in the open spaces of the west but I thought it was a little loud for Ill. It has proved to be a good choice:) It is the only howler I cary to the field.It brought in 3 or more yotes twice last fall on our trip to WY. on coyote vocalization alone.They do take a little practice but it's time well spent.The tone seems to be very good not tinny like the plastic megaphone howlers I've tried.I did pic. up his new Windriver Howler(shorter yet) last fall but this one works so well I keep forgetting to grab it when I leave.

akita-I really like the CZ for a carry gun:D.The .204 is a good round but I think shot placement is a little more critical.I have had to trail some yotes this yr.Less bang flop where they stood than my 22-250/243 etc. Granted my shots are not always perfect.I did lose one at 200yd. facing head on.Hit him hard and he went down flopping and I should have put another one in him but instead looked up to scan the area for another yote and when I looked back he was up and moving fast :eek:. Looking in the snow later he let loose with his bladder when he was hit and went down but there was no blood until about 75yd. then it opened up pretty good! I stayed on his trail for 2hr. before giving up(on some property I had no permission for) and had blood right up to the time I gave up!Just wanted to find him to skin him out and see what happened:confused: I'm using 40gr Berger'[email protected] 3950fps.Maybe I'll try some v-max/blitzkings next? Here is one from the week before :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.