Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a CZ 457 Sporter in 22LR and if so what do you think of it. I have been thinking lately about buying one with a walnut stock.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
George, I do not have the CZ sportster model, but I have several CZ's in rimfire and center fire. For the $ they are an excellent buy. They can usually benefit from a little tinkering such and smoothing the action, bedding and pillars. Out of the box all of mine were very good to excellent shooters. There is a strong following. Check out rimfirecentral.com and there is site dedicated to CZ.

·
Administrator
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out RC and the CZ section as I normally only go to the Remington and Winchester sections. They have one thread six pages long where it the 457 sporter doesn't sound so well. To me it is a very nice looking rifle and I like that it has an fully adjustable trigger.

I have always glass bedded the actions and floated my barrels on my 22LR's just the same as my centerfires.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have seven CZ rimfires, but none of them are 457s, I'm CZ-poor as it is.

I don't like the appearance of the 457, it looks like a doctored up Savage rimfire action in my eyes (though it is slabsided instead of a cylinder).

I guess I'm just old-school, as I like the appearance of the 452s, especially, and the 455s, to a lesser extent. I do recognize that the 457 addressed some of the issues that some folks don't like (backward safety, short bolt lift, etc.) but those things never bothered me anyway.
Anyway, I just haven't bitten into that apple, and don't intend to do so. Like I said, I have plenty of CZ rimfires (and four 527s!), they satisfy my needs/wants to a fare-thee-well already.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
George, if you like blue and walnut bolt actions, why not look for a good used Remington or Winchester 22lr, or even a clean used CZ452 American?

·
Administrator
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a pair of Rem 581's one with a custom walnut stock and the other with the factory stock. I also have a Win320 that I bought new when they came out in 1973. I just saw the 457 CZ and thought I might like it.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. No offense was intended. I am lucky in that over the years, I have found and bought some very nice used 22lr rifles, including some that actual have match chambers, like the 541-S and the M52 sporter reproductions.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
This is why I like my 452 American. With Lapua Pistol King ammo, it will shoot awfully well. Granted, this is it's best group ever (so far) but the danged thing will shoot (50 yards). Normally, it shoots groups about twice that big, with HV HPs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Nice group. The only CZ rimfire I have is a CZ452 American in 22WMR. I bought it on 9/11/01, when I ran into a good deal at a LGS on the way home from work. Couldn't pass it up. It likes Remington Premiere and Winchester Supremes the best, and with those it will do 3/4" groups at 100yds.

·
Administrator
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always felt the CZ 452 was one heck of a sporter 22LR. I don't know why but I never bought one when I should have.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You "don't need" an excuse to buy a gun. I like all my cz's. I have 3 452's and a 457. Personally, I like the 457. It shoots great and feels great. I really like the trigger and "new" safety. Just do it. If you don't like it, sell it and get another one...LOL

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I took a Covid-Boredom road trip this morning, over to Bardstown KY, and the big shop located there. They had scads of 457s in stock, but nothing that flipped my "BUY" buttons. I might have have fought off this CZ bug once and for all.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I took a Covid-Boredom road trip this morning, over to Bardstown KY, and the big shop located there. They had scads of 457s in stock, but nothing that flipped my "BUY" buttons. I might have have fought off this CZ bug once and for all.
you just aren't bored enough yet....it will come :D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
you just aren't bored enough yet....it will come :D

Naw, I've bought a Smith 617 4" and a SS Single Six in the last month, did some scope swapping around on some .22 rifles, and I ordered and received a case of ammo one of my rifles REALLY likes.

Gotta feed those guns I DO have.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts