Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if you guys have encountered this but I love the new calibers that have come out over the last 5 years. My dad on the other hand will not get out of his old school way of thinking. A few examples: I bought a Swift (not a new caliber by any stretch) " the Varminter will do anything that will do".
I bought a Cooper Mach4 "17's are barrel foulers, you won't like them".
I bought a .17 HMR " .17's are sensitive enough yet alone on a rimfire case?"
My dad is a very experienced machinist and gunsmith with a shop that has made me several outstanding rifles not to mention three stocks that he has carved by hand but he sure is set in his ways.
By the way he now absolutely loves the Cooper and still marvels at the way my Anschutz and Marlin .17 HMR shoots.
Called him the other night on his opinion of the .204. He thinks I've lost my mind!
God bless him.

·
Registered
811 Posts
New calibers...

Not really excited about new .204, but am pondering the 300WSM in a model 7. Either that or build a .243/300WSM switch barrel. Would have to buy a new magnum bolt for the 300WSM.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I agree with dad. The "new" cartridges are just doing what has already been done. Take the 270 WSSM, it duplicates the 270 close enough that it has virtually no advantages. The other so called short magnums are pretty much in the same boat. So you can push a 50gr bullet 100'ps faster. Think the animal on the other end is going to know the difference? And now the scoop on the internet is the short magnums eat barrels faster. Now thats progress. You mentioned the 17's. Just an under grown 22 magnum at best. I know, you can kill a coyote at 5000 yards with one or least somebody will try it and end up wounding one because they weren't smart enough to use enough gun. I know, a lot of folks have been lucky and haven't had any problems .........well, at least none they will admit to. Cartridges of thirty years ago pretty much had all the bases covered and then some. The newer stuff are nothing more that novelties and are duplicating something that's already been done. BUT, if you like playing with the newer stuff thats great! But eventually you'll be back to the tried and true rock solid performers of old. Now, do you know anything about the new 338/50 SOWAT? Looks pretty impressive to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
LOVE the 204

I bought a Savage model 11 in a 204 in Feb 2005. It was hard to get brass and finally got some win brass from Graff and Sons and started working up a load Got really fustrated. Then started using reloader 10 and win small rifle primer. thing really got good then. Longest shot on a coyote was 300 yard using 32 grain Hornady V max. It is an excellent caliber, very much a suprise. I have rushed a shot and hit the coyote just behind the lung area and he ran about 40 yards and dropped dead. I would say get a rifle in the caliber and you will like it. Take care Ghost

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
You have a wise and knowledgable father, you should listen to him.;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am over 60, have 2 sons and 3 grandsons and I love the "new" stuff. Some of the old stuff was crap, specially the 22 magnum! The 17 hmr is the most fun rifle that I have ever owned!!! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
ya jus gotta unnerstand us

OLD farts...we are stubborn,hard headed and sometimes..CORRECT!
I have small calibers,medium calibers and bigger-than-medium (but not really 'big' bores)...they cover any situation i'm likely to encounter.I just can't get excited about the 'new' stuff....the short mags,super short mags,ultra mags....I just ain't interested......sorry! but if YOU like'em that's fine by me.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm with your dad when it comes to pistol shells, I don't 'get' the .45 GAP, or the .357 Sig, or the S&W .45 Swift (.460) or the .500, or the Ruger .480, or the .50 AE, or the......................
But I kinda like my two .204s, and some other ones, 7-08, .260, HMR, and maybe some of the others. I don't much need or like any magnum rifles, of any flavor, but I don't hunt bears or other big stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't say that I keep up on the *new stuff* but since I shot my first 17 AH I have been doomed with a fascination of the small calibers. They have been way too much fun and things like the good old 270 and 7mm STW just don't get shot that much anymore... Honestly I like em all just some better than others!

BTW Dad's are always right... ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I can`t afford it, it aint no good anyhow!

I like em all. Big bores, small bores, and in between. Just use them correctly and don`t hunt polar bear with a willow switch.
On the other hand, I have at times needed the pounding I get from a "Proper" gun and used the 416 or 404 Jeffry to ..um...."educate" a coyote or two.
The .358 STA is especially adept at removing the coyote`s spine using long distance surgical procedures. 225 grain Nosler BT Whelan bullet @3250 = "Self Skinning Varmints". Insertion point is @ the nose or tail. Front to back or back to front all looks the same HAHAHAHAHAH!
May God bless the little children and us big kids!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Too true and Too funny

Time marches on. Where would we be without wildcatters and companies that produced "new" rounds? We sure wouldnt have ever seen any ppc cartridges or other fantastic experiments. We would all still be shooting straight wall black powder. I personally have no use for ballistics that look like a rainbow. Keep on moving forward and leave the "doubting Thomas's" in the dust!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
New Stuff ='s [Sum Good & Sum Not]

Agree on the Sm's & SSm's & alot of the new pitol stuff mentioned above. However ,IMHO, the 20 Cal's R here-2-stay. Have 1-20 Tac & a 2nd on the way. For Pasture Poodles ,just about Perfect. I'm sure the 17 Gang will dispute that but ,Thats what I like & I'm Sticken-2-It. My 2¢. Russ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts