Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not exaxctly a varmint, but I watch this forum & have posted occaisonally for many years. So here goes.
Any thoughts on the best bullet, assuming accuracy for dall sheep, out of a 270 WSM?
Should it be a 130, or 140 grainn & super tough or.....

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Heavy

Even with the heavys, a 270 is fast, so pick the one that will hold up best. Like Mt Goats, they can absorb a tremendous amount of lead, then dissappear into places you don`t want to look for them in.

Hard to beat a Nosler Partition for terminal performance but frankly, I`ve found few rifles that the Partitions will shoot well in. I`ve never had Partitions shoot less than 2 inch groups in rifles that normally shoot under an inch. If you konw you`ll be close, a Partition is a darn good bullet and I`m not repeating what I "heard somewhere". I`ve used them, just not at long range.

If the critter is going to be at 250 plus, a BT is not a bad choice because the bullet is going a lot slower at that range, hence, you are more likely to get good expansion. A heavy bonded bullet at long range often will just punch two holes. I use BT`s for most all my game.
And, of course, shot placement is everything.
Good luck,
Bear

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
try my elk load

Swift A Frame- 150 gr
52 grains of H4350
Fed 210M primer
COL 3.305
vel 2850
100-+1.7, 200-0,300-7.6,400-22

very accurate and stable

·
Registered
753 Posts
My one-sheep experience

This year I drew one of Oregon's BigHorn Sheep tags. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I enjoy rifles/ballistics so you can bet I did some research. After all of the research was done I chose my 6mm-06 with 100 grain Nosler Partitions. The 6mm-06 because it was enough gun for shots to 400 yards (Sheep die easy) and the Partition because I trust them completely and my 6mm-06 is limited to a max bullet weight of 100 grain - hence, a need for a bullet with excellent penetration. Had I chosen a heavier caliber like 270, 7 Mag, 06 etc ... I would have used a "softer" bullet like the Ballistic Tip (the Nosler Partition would still be okay because it ALWAYS expands - it just wouldn't be necessary). I'd stay away from bullets that advertise that they retain 99% of their weight 'cause I'd be concerned that they wouldnt expand in a Sheep. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Bullet

The Nosler AccuBond will sooner or later replace the Partition.

I am using the AccuBonds in 140 grain 7mm and 225 grain .338.

Until this switch I only used Partitions................................

Accubonds are as accurate as BT's with better pentration and weight retention than the PT's; however I haven't ever recovered a Partition or Accubond.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Swft Scirrocco's

They are hard to beat.
I have recovered some but I've never seen an accubond recovered.
I'm sure they do get recovered but I think they tend to be a little tougher bullet.

Try both.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Barnes

The 130 gr. Triple Shocks have worked well for me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Did you fill you tag on the CMR. Happy New Year Ed
Hi, ED -- Greatest Elk hunt of my life - but no, I didn't kill a Bull. Hunted 17 days and looked at around 110 Bulls. Never could find that 350 class animal that I was looking for. It was a wonderful experience. Never saw another Bull Elk hunter! I do have a sheep picture that I'll send you. Best Wishes for a great New Year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts