Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. How in Hades can I get rid of that annoying thing.?!? Specifically the latch if not the whole thing.. I have heard it suggested to get a "left handed" latch but there's no "hole" on that side of the reciever so a modification maybe would be in order.. That little PITA will snag on my bibs and "click" at the most inopportune moments.. And in the still woods it sounds pure unnatural and unbelievably loud (at least as bad as Velcro!!).. Are there any options to remove it.? I've seen the side charging comp rifles but I think they still had the beast on'em.. I can't say as the loss of the forward assist would matter 'cause I haven't been able to smack it hard enough with my hand to get the bolt over the rim when I've tried a quiet closing..

.. For next project I want to build a dedicated "hunting" upper.. Light, reasonably accurate, flexable enough for grounhogs to deer and wild pigs out to a coupla hundred or so and short enough to be very "handy".. It'd also be nice if it was compatible with my .30 cal suppressor (Geez, sounds like I prolly need to just modify the DPMS .308, eh.? But it ain't light and where's the fun in no new purchase.? ).. Izzat too much to ask.?

Allrighty then.. What say you.? Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
321 Posts
How do I answer this without writing a novel???

Jake,

I've carried an M16 in environments that most folks would consider insane to venture into. That's both here and abroad. Never heard nor had the complaint you have with the charging handle catching on things.

Back in my misspent youth, I was assigned to an inspection team doing inspections of Marine Reserve Units. Also on the team was an ancient Mustang Captain who had seen the Frozen Chosin and other exotic places. His function was weapons.

During the casual time after the Out Briefing, a Reserve Lieutenant posed the question of why the M16 had a charging handle in it configuration instead of one such as the AR-18 had. Especially since anyone who has had to do mag changes from the prone and needed to 'recharge' the rifle with the charging handle knew how big a pain it was.

Old Captain John, believe me, no one could pronounce his last name much less spell it, gave what he considered to be the truth of the subject.

During WWII one of the complaints heard concering the M1 was that when traveling through the thick jungle undergrowth on alot of the islands, the bolt handle would hang on brush. Along with everything else hanging on your body. But the really big problem was if you did not notice that the bolt handle had hung up and moved the bolt ever so slightly to the rear, placing the bolt out of battery, then when you found yourself face to face with the enemy, your rifle failed to fire.

If you will remember the original configuration of Eugene Stoners XM series, the bolt handle was across the top of the receiver protected by the Rear Sight Ramp. Sorry Folks, I refuse to use a civilian term for something it was never configured for.

The evolution of the process was simple. Put the charging handle on top and protect it from being hung up on vegetation. Since the straight stock configuration makes life difficult for a normal sight, place the sights ontop the bolt protection and ergo you have what was known to us Marines as a Rear Sight Ramp.

Being that it was found to be very difficult to utilize such a manner of Bolt Handle in a cold weather environment due to gloves verses the opening of the Bolt Channel, it was redesigned in to the configuration we have today.

Granted it is one noisey critter, but let's face it. It was designed for noisey environments, not for the sportsman.

So, I hope I did Captain John justice with the explaination.

I cannot remember a single Marine who carried his M16 by the Rear Sight Ramp without getting his rear chewed by an NCO. And I have heard the same thing from GI's that go all the way back to the original issue rifles.

Maybe this does not answer your question, but hopefully it gives some reason to the way things are.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The FAL has a left-side cocking handle knob. The Commonwealth modification on the inch-pattern L1A1 SLR changed this to a folding charging handle extension for the reasons Mortis mentions. The handle folds flat out of the way and is very comfortable to use. I have seen this modification done on ARs in the UK but never noticed one in the US. It might be a good idea to post a question on AR15.com. I think it's a great idea, if you get one worked out please let me know.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Mortis..

.. I bet you guys weren't wearing bibs on any of those adventures either.!! :D
.. One of the things I really like about the AR configuration is the ability to carry it somewhere besides slung behind my shoulder.. A position which never worked well for anything, IMO.. I carry it "upright" and under my right arm slightly below the waist.. This is where it ends up when I have enough slack in the sling to come up to a good shooting position w/o having to take my arm out of the sling.. I can move it to my back for climbing and the sling helps hold it up for stalking in a "semi-ready" position.. (Please excuse my non-military terminology, if it's an issue)..
It was designed for noisey environments, not for the sportsman.
..Ya mean the military guys don't ever need to sneak up on anything quietly.? 'Course I reckon if it really mattered I wouldn't have the thing hangin' down by my side anyways.. Maybe it's just one of those compromisees that makes up nearly every piece of gear.. Heck, I dunno.. It's just an aggravation I'm trying to get shed of.. Why put up with something annoying if there's a solution.?

Thanks for the insight into the design, tho'.!! :)

.. Monkeyman.. A folding handle, eh.? Sounds like a possible solution.. How is it attached top the bolt on an FN.? Got a good pic.? I wonder if I could lose the CH all together.? d:^) Jake

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
How about a .300 Whisper? Good for short range anyway

Most charge handles that catch are the "tacticle" ones. I personally after 25 years have never felt the need for one once! The lefty handles have the catch go thru a slot, over to the other side. most of them I've seen were "tacticle" models.

Steven

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lefty handles have the catch go thru a slot, over to the other side. most of them I've seen were "tacticle" models.
.. Ooooohhhh.. I see.. So I wouldn't hafta modify the receiver.. I'll hasta goto Stag or somewhere like and check those pups out.. Thanks, Steve.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jake,

There are several 'swat' style slings and methods of carry that could meet your requirements without hanging up on your bibs. Just a choice.

And having worn out several pairs of bibs in my day, the only thing I can come up is method of carry. Considering how much stuff we hung on our bodies before ever picking up the rifle, things which can really get in your way if you do not position them properly, I still cannot remember ever having the problem you are having.

There are a limited methods of carrying an AR and still have it ready to shoot in a hurry. Slung over the shoulder isn't one of them. That method of carry is only used to move platoons/companys of troops over long distances, in a safe environment, without loaded weapons. And it is still not comfortable. And when you live with one inthe field 24/7 at months at a time, you lean how to carry one.

Try a Jungle Sling. Which for the most part is self constructed.

Make two loops out of 550 cord. These will have to be adjust along the process for proper fitting the body. And we always must remember, no two bodies are the same.

The loops are what you will attach your sling to your rifle. One loop goes thru your Front Sight Base and fastens to the rear (slope) of the base. The other goes through the rear sling swivel and around the stock. Attach sling and adjust to fit.

And electrical tape the front sling swivel to the forehand stocks to keep it from rattling.

The rifle should basically hang in front of your body like a guitar. Yeppers.... sling goes over the left shoulder, around the back and under the right arm just like you hang a guitar.

Rifle can be moved behind your back with just a flip, and is easy to bring back in front if needed.

We generally carried them with the muzzle pointing downward, across the body, hand on pistol grip and ready to rock and roll.

The key adjustment to the entire sling is being able to bring the rifle up to shoulder without choking yourself. And the over length of the buttstock loop allows the sling to fall downward and out of the way of the shooter.

Sorry I do not own an AR to show you how it works. I prefer the AK.

And you'd be amazed how quiet you can be with 30 pounds of load bearing equipment hanging on your body with canteens, ammo pouches, compass, first aid pouch and other sundry items, then tossing on another 40-60 pounds of ruck sack.

Remember, the varmints we were hunting shot back.:D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it look something like this.?

.. Hehehe.. Funny thing is, that's exactly how I've been carrying it.. When adjusted so I can get at it w/o having to come out of it it's right at the side splits (and those pesky metal buttons) on my bibs, as seen in the pic.. Any higher and I can't get at it like I want, any lower and it gets sloppy..
..Funny you shopuld mention the "guitar" aspect 'cause that's what I thought, too.. I've been calling this my "Jimmy Page" carry (Led Zep) 'cause it does feel just like a guitar.. A heavy Les Paul to be exact:D .. I reckon I'm just gonna hafta "adjust" myself a bit.. Mostly it makes racket when I'm leaning forward or bringing it to bear and I don't think to go "out" before "forward"..

30 pounds of load bearing equipment hanging on your body/then tossing on another 40-60 pounds of ruck sack.
Remember, the varmints we were hunting shot back.:D
..And remember, the varmints I'm hunting can smell yer sweaty azz a long way off.!! :D Whot a load.!! Thanks, Mortis.. d:^) Jake

'I'll be off to the club for a coupla days now..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Boy Miss Sandy sure can work magic within that there camera of herns. I don't wrecken I remeber you looking that purtty fer Jake LOL!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heyyyy..

Boy Miss Sandy sure can work magic within that there camera of herns. I don't wrecken I remeber you looking that purtty fer Jake LOL!!
.. I resemble that statement.!! :D d:^) Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts