Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloading some 60's Lake City 30-06 brass and using the Dillon primer pocket swagger. Even tho I've got it set right/as deeply as possible, I still need to put alot of chamfer on the pp afterwards to keep from crushing Fed primers. Anyone else have this problem? Solution ? Are any other primers slightly smaller in diameter? Very to - too tight fit now. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dillon PP Swager...

When I was using one ,the deepest adjustment was not where I got the best results. I don't recall the particulars on this, and it was small primer & 223 military cases. My suggestion would be to go back thru the set-up/adujustment phase according to the Dillon instructions, and if your still not getting the results that you want, by all means call Dillon, they are great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The way military brass is crimped it's usually not centered in the primer pocket, the swager will get part of it but you might still have a sharp edge on one side, the easy solution to this is to pay attention when you are seating primers, when you feel too much resistance, instead of just forcing it and crushing the primer, 99% of the time if you rotate the case in the shellholder a half turn it will go right in!

Sounds funny but it works!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Just A Thought

If you are going to have to go through another process to get the
primer pockets the correct size after swaging, why not just run a
primer pocket uniformer in and cut out the excess material, and have
a good uniform primer pocket when you are finished ? ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup, yup, i do that

I also use the sincair uniformer, but must first use a rcbs chamfer tool to get that to go in. And then they are still awful tight. Seems to simple of a deal to have this problem, huh ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.