Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Ruger M-77 rifle that a man had a hunter class bench rifle made out of it about 20 years ago. Before he could use it he died. His wife just started getting rid of his stuff last summer. This rifle is in 30X47 cal. I do not know what kind of barrel it has on it but it is chrome moly. From what I can tell from pulling a cleaning rod with a tight patch through the bore it has a 1 in 12 twist. It has a Canjar trigger of 1 1/2 pounds. I got the dies and a bunch of cases. Some made from Match Federal Nickel 308 and others in WW 300 savage. So far 41 grs. Varget in the Federal case with CCI-BR2 primer and a 168 Sierra Match King OAL 3.208 is a bug hole shooter. I used it to kill a deer this year with 42 grs. IMR 4895 Federal case, Fed. 210M primer and a 150 Sierra game king. I am just looking for some advice on some other loads and others experience with the caliber.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a 30X47 that is based on the 300 Savage case like yours that I shoot in HBR comp. I am shooting 42g of VV135 and a 133 g RonAl bullet that my friend is making in his basement (his name is Ron and Al, another friend, pitched in on the dies, so the RonAl bullet). Mine is very accurate and is a PacNor 3 groove with a 15 twist. I managed to come in second in the state final HBR match this past summer with it.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JIM: The 30X47 is made on a shortened 300 Savage case or a 308 case not 222 Mag.

VMTHTR: It seams that most of the information that I can find is that people are shooting it in a fast twist barrel with light bullets. I got to shoot my rifle at a 300 yard range while I was deer hunting. I was shooting in a fish-tail wind 10 to 20 mph at 300 yards. With the 168 gr. load I shot 3 shots into 3/4 inch with two shots making one hole and the third 1/2 inch out, the wind got me. I shot a 1 inch 3 shot group with the 150 Sierra hunting load. I was using a 3-12 power scope set on 12 power. This rifle will shoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.