Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a tradeing deal I got a 14" barrel T/C contender in 6mm-225 Win. I got the dies and some cases in the deal. I did a little work with it this fall before deer season and got a load that I could and did use to kill a deer with. 30 grs. Varget, CCI-BR2 primer, 80 gr. Sierra SSP, OAL 2.380, average 2650 fps. The deer I shot with it was only 50 yards away and it did a number on him. I shot him through the shoulders broad side and he droped like a rock. It broke both shoulders but did not exit and I could not find the bullet because of the mess it made of his insides. I was just wondering if anybody else has worked with this caliber? It just a 225 Winchester case Necked up to 6mm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi 1Shot,
I don't have a 6-225 but a 6.5JDJ (.264-225) in a 14 ich Contender and its a fantastic cartridge. I'm pushing a Nosler 100gr BT @ 2600. I also have a 14 inch 6TCU that I shoot silhouette with. I shoot the Sierra 80 gr Spiter @ 2400 FPS. I started low while working up a load and the first load was so accurate I stopped. 5 shoots at 200 yds went .850 inches!!!!
Who made your barrel?

Jay

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea who made my barrel. It has no name and the caliber is not even marked. It is a very well made barrel though and seems to be very accurate. I got this Contender and the this barrel with a 10" TC 45 colt / 410 combo barrel and a TC 10" 357 mag barrel. All of the barrels are super accurate. I also got a Ruger M-77 that was built into a hunter class bench rifle in 30X47 a shortened 300 savage case. The man that had these died about 20 years ago and his wife just started getting rid of his stuff last summer. The rifle and only had 30 rounds shot through it. She also had other bench rifles and some wild-cat caliber rifles most of which were built on rimed cases. A friend of mine got a contender barrel in a wildcat cal 444 Marlin necked down to 35 cal. That will be a hand full. We have the reamers that were used to make all his guns. I know everybody that bought all the guns and they are all very accurate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Harvey Donaldson made the .219 Don Wasp from the .30/30 case. Pioneered, per him anyway, bench rest competition. Much later, for bolt actions, he used the new .225 cases for the .219 Don ACE and the 6mm Don Ace... Cases slightly shortened. Full length, .219 Zipper Improved... luck.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Boy 1shot sounds like you walked into one there. I like to pick up some of those wildcat that one messed with much and try them also. It ends up they were usually someones pet project and shoot very well. Bst part is that noone wants to mess around with some screw cal. that someone else dreamed up and you can get them cheap. The 6mm-225 sounds like it should be an excellant round for the hand cannons.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Catfish this 6mm-225 Win. is turning out to be a good one for the Contender. In what little time I had in the fall to work up some loads I settled on 30grs of Varget behind a Sierra 80gr. Singleshot Pistol Bullet for deer hunting. It flys 2650 fps and I don't shoot pistols very much but I was getting under 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 2.5 - 8 Weaver scope from a rest. I tried some loads that got up to 2900 fps with the 80gr bullet but had a sticky hard to open action and in a Contender that means too much pressure. I did deer hunt with it and killed a nice 5 point buck in NC. It was a close shot for over there 50 yards. The bullet did a job on him. I took him broad side through the shoulders. He droped like a rock. It destroyed both shoulders and made a mess of his lungs. The bullet did not exit but in the mess I could not find it. When the weather clears up I will play with it some more. The 30X47 cal M-77 Ruger rifle I got from the same person is just dog nuts accurate. I killed a deer with it also this year. With just a 12 power scope on it in a 15 to 20 mph fishtail wind I shot a 3/4 inch group at 300 yards with it with 168 Match Kings and with 150 Game Kings that I hunted with I shot a 1 1/4 inch group at 300. I did this while in NC deer hunting. The only range I have here at home to use right now is a 100 yard range. A groups of us in my area are working on getting us a range built and we hope to be able to get 1000 yards.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Harvey Donaldson made the .219 Don Wasp from the .30/30 case. Pioneered, per him anyway, bench rest competition. Much later, for bolt actions, he used the new .225 cases for the .219 Don ACE and the 6mm Don Ace... Cases slightly shortened. Full length, .219 Zipper Improved... luck.
silly me. Mr. brown, eabco.com, has a house cartridge that is the 6mm/.30/30; very nearly the same and you should be able to learn from this/ his data/ etc. And if you had the rim deepened and headspaced on the shoulder, which most rounds do anyway, you could make brass from .30/30 or buy some of his... luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.