Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine runs a small pheasant hunting operation. Recently he has had problems with his shock collar and complained of the last two he purchased. I told him I would use the vast knowledge of our board to get him some advice on his next purchase, he would like to keep it in the $250 range, so guys (and gals) any recommendations as to which manufacture or retailer to use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Collar Clinic

We have used several different models of Tri-tronics with decent success. They have worked fine but after several seasons they get where they finally will not take a charge and need the batteries replaced.

Collar Clinic is the place to get them, or talk to someone knowledgeable about collars. All of the collars we have purchased have been their "reconditioned" collars. Your friend may also be able to get some discount by trading in his existing collars.

HTML:
http://www.collarclinic.com/

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Shocking!!!

I think you've needed one for a long time. That way all your lovely wife Sharon has to to is ask once - to keep you in line! LOL!:rolleyes:

OOOOoooh! You mean one for Boodah!? Well, I recommend him NOT to buy the TriTronix units. Rip-off POS, and ZERO, NYET, NADA in customer service!!! (But I still think Sharon could put one to good use!):D

(Details off line upon request...;)

P.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Training collar

[We have used several different models of Tri-tronics with decent success. They have worked fine but after several seasons they get where they finally will not take a charge and need the batteries replaced.]

I've owned two different Tri-tronic training collars and have had pretty good success. They are no different than any other rechargeable battery electronic, the life expectancy depends on how much it is used or recharged. Tri-tronics will update worn out batteries at a cost or they will take your old unit in as trade for a new model. They make a collar for different types of dogs, whether it is a flusher, pointer, retriever or just a mutt that needs correction from time to time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course the best way...

for a wife to keep her man under control, is to have her shoot your rifles better than you....LOL....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tri-Tronics

One of my hunting partners, and I, both purchased Tri-Tronics 90's about
a year ago, and both have worked well over that period of time. Ours
are strapped to Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, so they get wet often, and
these dogs never met an obstacle that they didn't try to crash through,
rather than go around. Chesapeakes are like that...Determined is putting
it nicely. Anyway, these collars have held up well for the last year. The
breeder that I purchased my dog from , runs a bunch of dogs, and she sees
many different models, and brands, of e-collars. She also recommends
Tri-Tronics, both for the products, and the customer service response time.

Squeeze

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Ain't THAT the truth!!

for a wife to keep her man under control, is to have her shoot your rifles better than you....LOL....
And what's worse...my daughter Heather shoots my guns better than me too! HA!

Well, like I alway say...If a guy has an ego problem, DON'T teach a gal to shoot!!

P.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have spent the last ten years with a few bird dogs and reading lots of posts on the internet. Tritronics is kind of like saying Leupold!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Tritronics is kind of like saying Leupold!
There is NO FRIGGIN way I would say Tritronics can be compared to Leopold's customer service, IMO:( Wanting to charge me $125 to replace batteries that failed in spite of following their instructions to the letter, then admitting there was a circuit "defect" that resulted in the early failure of batteries, in spite of being charged according to their instructions, then trying to "upgrade" me to an improved version "which has that problem fixed" - an "upgrade" costing $200+ (2/3 as much as I spent on a new model) - an "upgrade" fixing an inherent defect known to them... Effectively spending $300 for a defective unit (they admitted to) plus another $200 to fix the defect, or $500+ for a unit that competators sell for $300 or less??? I don't think that is such a good deal OR customer service.

In comparision, Leupold has repaired 1 and reconditioned 2 scopes for me in the past 20 years at no charge. Weaver replaced a defective T-36 scope with a brand new model...NO questions asked. So, IMO, there is NO FRIGGIN way I could compare Tritronics to Leo. Nope. They are forever on my sh*t list.

Well, I hope your experiences with them are much better than mine. I recon there are other comparable units out there, and I'd try a lot of them before I ever give an outfit that operates like Tritronics another try...or recommendation:mad: .

Rant off:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had good luck with TriTronics as well,

Bought my latest from Lion Country Supply, it's the new Upland version. I do lots of waterfowling with my lab, phesant hunt with my lab and GSP.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have had good luck with my Dogtra 1200 series. Going on 5 yrs,no problems.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've used a TriTronics "Classic 70" for the last five years and am totally satisfied with it. It has a range of up to one mile. It has five shock ranges and a beeper and IT WORKS GOOD! My dog will go get it and bring it to me to put on because she knows we are GOING! It can save your dogs life in certain conditions and I guarantee their hearing is exceptional when they are wearing it. Just be sure and know when to or when not to use it. I used it on mine once when she wanted to tangle with a porcupine(first time she got a "5") and she got another "5" when she stopped to roll on a dead rotten maggoty Raven one day. Other than that, a coupla "1"s, which just barely tickles them, just to get her attention and I've never had to hit the shock button since. I do use the "Beep" button a lot to call her in or slow her down and get her to look at me for hand signals. Godsdog.

http://www.tritronics.com/remotetrainers-G2fieldseries.html

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Just be sure and know when to or when not to use it...
Yep. It is amazing how much better Buddy can hear...when he was just wearing that collar! A couple "zaps" a season was all that was needed to "remind him' to pay attention. Like someone mentioned, they can save a pooches life. I'm totally in favor of the collars - just very bitter w/ Tritronics' BS after the sale.

I had to laugh about the rolling in something dead tho...I'm glad I'm not the only pooch owner that has that problem! My mutt, Sandy Pooch, is fastidiously clean - wouldn't dream of rolling in "something". Buddy, on the other hand:rolleyes: ... I have to keep an eye on him every minute or he'll be rolling in something dead, or his favorite...FOX POOP! A touch from the collar really cleans out their ears, "fer sher"!:D

Well, it definately appears I'm in the minority as far as Tritronics goes... But, I would have a hard time spending $200 MORE to get a unit that works as advertised, especially when they admitted the problem was inherent in the first place. Those that bought the 'new and improved' version...maybe they fixed the units, and I'm glad you're happy w/ em. I just hope you don't have to tangle w/ their customer "service":rolleyes: department!

I dunno...I guess I'll brood about it for another season. There was a couple times this year w/ Buddy where he could have used a "reminder". But, if there is a good one out there with comparable features...for around $200, I would be hard pressed to drop my spear and return to Tritronics with 'hat in hand', so to speak.:(

P.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My walking partner bought a new tritronics top of the line colar system for his 2 dogs 6 months ago. 1 colar has been back to the factory 2 times the other once. They seem to be having trouble with their redesigned models. He is very unhappy with the new 1 inspite of getting 5+ years of service out of his old 1.

I have an old model Inotec that has been on my dog every morning for the last 3 years but they have also redesigned their product.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well in the dog world innotek is like Tasco! :)

I have heard complaints about the new TT collars. Dogtra is gaining a bigger share of the field trial and serious hunter crowd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts