Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first pr dogs for 2007, they were out sitting on the snow and ice today - they do show up nice . Shot two so i could call my bro and rub it in that i got the first of the new year . just bragging rights and i can claim i an 100% for the yr .. coyotes have to eat in the winter too :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
PD's

And they thought they were safe in the winter. I hope the pretty snow was not messed up with some red mist.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the board

Where's the preaty designs in the snow????? Ya did get pics to prove it didn't ya? Dont make me go out and get my own..............its windy out there:D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
CJ where did ya find the smileys with the signs. They are ok.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I shot them in the snow once up in Oats, Nebraska.....

the mirage was the worst that I have ever seen in my life. It was just about impossible to shoot 300 yards on 12x in bright sunlight! They sure were skiddish to say the least.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Snowdogs...One of my favorites!

There are many styles of PD shooting which makes them a favorite varmint, I recon. Only in the spring and early summer are the dumb ones out where one can actually get the barrel hot. But, if one shoots them all year 'round, and especially in a location where they get shot over pretty regularily, the game evolves from fast and furious to deliberate waiting and long shots...One of my favorite styles. One thing is for sure...the barrel never gets hot on winter 'snowdogs'!!

My very favorite place to shoot PDs, especially on snow, was a place just east of Mede CO. A railroad track split the property in two, and there was a creek bottom that ran the length of the of the property. There was a large burm and a small bridge to support the tracks that ran perpendicular to the creek across the little valley, creating a kind of blind between halves of the ranch, and the PD town.

To see over the burm and the rails thereon, one had to set up 100 yards or so to one side of the tracks, up on the slope that ran down to the creek. The lay of the land was such that looking west over the rails, the PDs were about 300 yards out for starters, and ranges went out to 700 yards along the opposite bank of the creek to the west; a perfect backstop:)

For some reason, PDs seemed almost oblivious to a shooter on the other side of the tracks, as the R/R burm made a natural visual boundary, I suppose. Ordinarily, winter PDs are very skitish, in my experience - or maybe I trained them to be;) . But, I guess because of the burm, they showed no sign of being aware of my presence...Much to their dismay. So, I could "paint the snow" with the little buggers - getting more that 3x the number of shots per hour than dogs on the same side of the burm at the same distance.

One thing about PDs when shot on a snowy day when the temp is around freezin' or especially colder; you know too when you have a hit by perhaps a 10 foot x 5 foot elipse beyond the PD's last reported position (before vaporizing) where there is now a cloud of "steam" that rises off the snow for several seconds. And BOY! Do the hawks and Magpies come a runnin' when the rifle sounds the dinner bell!!:D I always feel like I'm doing a double service: Thinnin the PDs, and feeding the birds...;)

P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts