Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprayed these Forster 6mm Dasher dies a couple years ago...i forget what with and just put the up wet.....i was just digging around laid them out good thing i did..WD and a lot of scrubbing. All 3 dires where gummed up bad

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
WD 40 will dry hard and gummy. Not so good for dies or rifle actions.

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i generally use WD40 ...im sure that what this was......i used it this time as well but wiped it all off then put them up.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I quit using WD-40 on guns and fishing reels 20-25 years ago after reading many, many comments from gunsmiths and machinists. I still use it on things I don't care much about, like door hinges, railroad spikes, and most of my Harbor Freight tools. :) I like Kroil as a thin, penetrating lubricant, and for my guns I lean toward products like Ballistol and Tetra Gun products.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I love the way WD-40 smells but I don't use it on my guns or reloading dies. Its good for cleaning stainless steel appliances and for starting small engines.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
And, prolonged use of WD-40 will actually remove bluing from firearms. Stopped using WD-40 many years ago. I like Kroil, EEZ-OX and Tetra oil and grease. To keep things from rusting, I use RIG, and use very thin coats to keep it protected and not greasy.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Sorry George but I won’t have WD-40 around for anything for that reason. The best thing about it is their marketing. I use Tri flow or Kroil.

Reactions: george in KY

·
Registered
3 Posts
A cheap and effective penetrating oil,transmission fluid and acetone 50/50.
I am also a Kroil fan for some things.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
A cheap and effective penetrating oil,transmission fluid and acetone 50/50.
I am also a Kroil fan for some things.
J:
How long does the acetone last in the ATF? It's way lower boiling than the ATF. Maybe don't make up big batches. I've never used KROIL. Guess I gotta get some. LIke KY Fisherman, I use WD40 on some things, but hold to Hoppe's and light oil for my rifles.
-West out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is kept capped up so air does t get to it, it keeps well. I get WD40 at work by the gallon, I just dump a quart of ATF and quart of acetone in and am good for quite a while. I use a pump spray bottle for application. Just don’t set it in the sun or any direct heat and it keeps well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts