Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Bubba
What are the case spec's on the 20 BR? Like o.a.l., neck length, case cap.
I think you gave me some info once before...Duh I lost it! Is it neck turned?
Also what brass do you use Rem.- Lapua? What barrel twist rate?
I know I ask alot ? Thanks for any info, from anyone.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lets see what I have...

Dr. Bubba
What are the case spec's on the 20 BR? Like o.a.l., neck length, case cap.
I think you gave me some info once before...Duh I lost it! Is it neck turned?
Also what brass do you use Rem.- Lapua? What barrel twist rate?
I know I ask alot ? Thanks for any info, from anyone.

First off let me say I do not have a 20BR but I had looked into one two years back and was interested in the Sharp Shooter Supply Savage barrel and chamber for the 20BR. So I got most of my information from DAA of this board since he had used SSS for his barrel. So use the info where it fits your situtation.

Here is what DAA (and Fred at SSS) told me at that time:

- SSS chamber had a .236" diameter neck

- Lapua Brass - Loaded rounds has a overall diameter neck .2340 - .2345"
But I do not know what bullet DAA was using...this spec could depend on the bullet used. The chamber neck is large enough to give you a loaded round with a non-turned neck using Lapua brass.

- Bushing of 0.231, 0.232, and 0.233 for the above numbers would be good.
These will give you a neck tension of neck tension of about 0.001-0.003". DAA used a 0.232 at the time.

- SSS Chamber length 1.540" so you will have to trim the Lapua once it is sized down to .204 to get them to fit in this chamber. DAA gave a spec of 1.527" to start with on his loads.

All this comes from emails I exchanged with DAA two years ago.
If DAA reads this then maybe he will add to this or correct anything I might have gotten wrong.

On the twist rate I know what they were suggesting two years ago for this but I think they have tuned those numbers now and I am not sure what they are. For 50gr bullets in 20 caliber I know many are saying a 1:9" twist was a safe number. Kevin Guillette was using a 1:10" with 50s in the 20br and was getting good accuracy.

Here is a good article on 20Calibers by Kory Hamzeh which will have information on twists. Another good place to get info on twists is saubier.com. Or perhaps one of the small caliber guys will see this add to this for ya.

Good luck,
DB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dr. Bubba

Sorry for any inconvenience. I thought that you were the one that had made
the original post?
Thanks for all of the info though.I Am still thinking and trying to get all of my ducks in a row. Will copy this to my Doc's
Thanks Again for your input.
God Bless!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My pleasure

Sorry for any inconvenience. I thought that you were the one that had made
the original post?
Thanks for all of the info though.I Am still thinking and trying to get all of my ducks in a row. Will copy this to my Doc's
Thanks Again for your input.
God Bless!
Not an inconvenience at all. I probably did posted this info before so you were correct in remember it as me. I just happen to have the info after doing some research wish I had a 20BR but I don't.

Good luck,
Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.