Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in July next year. What are the 'must-see' places? Wifey planning expedition now.
________
Suzuki K15

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check out Abingdon VA (where I live ,born and raised so I don't know any better)it will be exactly the half way point in your journey. Its a Historical town started in the 1700's. Was first named Wolf Hills by Daniel Boone as he lost some dogs to wolves in one of his stays here.State theater (Barter Theater) is here if you like that sorta thing and good places to eat.Check it out its in the S.W> end part of the State.

Rodney

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yorktown

It's only a few miles from Williamsburg. In addition to the main visitor center check out the outlying encampment areas and the old part of Yorktown itself. It should appeal to a history buff like you. Whenever I am at the Coast Guard base there I take a hike or jog through the back roads of the area.

Are you goting to the SHOT show?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, in Williamsburg you'll be near the town of Virginia Beach. They have an area of the beach that is a so-called nude beach, mostly college girls on summer vacation, but I don't suppose you'd be interrested in that.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's only a few miles from Williamsburg. In addition to the main visitor center check out the outlying encampment areas and the old part of Yorktown itself. It should appeal to a history buff like you. Whenever I am at the Coast Guard base there I take a hike or jog through the back roads of the area.

Are you goting to the SHOT show?
Thanks. Can't do SHOT this year, gotta be travelling elsewhere.
________
hash honey oil

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Check out Abingdon VA (where I live ,born and raised so I don't know any better)it will be exactly the half way point in your journey. Its a Historical town started in the 1700's. Was first named Wolf Hills by Daniel Boone as he lost some dogs to wolves in one of his stays here.State theater (Barter Theater) is here if you like that sorta thing and good places to eat.Check it out its in the S.W> end part of the State.

Rodney
Thanks, will check it out as a route-stop.
________
growing marijuana

·
Registered
52 Posts
Atlanta to Williamsburg!

MM,look on your Map,I 85 30 miles n.of Charlotte,China Grove,NC,I am only 2 miles from the Interstate!
I 85 runs N.to I 95,you will be enroute to Williamsburg,Va.If you get withen 30 Miles of my house-- Well its a MUST Meet,I hope it Happens!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Tarheel tarheel1 at ctc.net:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Historic Triangle

Once you get here, you will be surrounded by history in Williamsburg. The Historic Triangle consists of Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Encampment, Yorktown Battlefield, all major places in the infancy of the United States. all are literally within minutes of one another. A couple of Indian Reservations, Pocahontas and her tribe were literally a couple miles from our house here in Central Virginia. Her statue/monument is still at the entrance to their reservation along with an Indian Museum and story teller. Richmond is full of civil war places like Belle Isle, a prison camp. The Battlefields at Fort Lee(awesome) just outside Petersburg south of Richmond. Virginia Beach speaks for itself, but I moved out of there to much civilization for me. I am about an hour and half west of there, more things to legally shoot at out here.:)

Then an hour away is Ft Monroe and the Norfolk Naval Operations Base, NOB, the largest in the entire world, four of five Aircraft Carriers, latest in the state of the art Aegis Cruisers, Destroyers, subs etc. Fort Monroe is the only military base operating today surrounded by a mote, no alligators though.

Stay in touch, I guide you via the internet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jamestyown

Janestown will be a must see. Original settelment and all that.2007 is a big anniversary year too. Bush Gardens for family ride park. Chesapeake:) :) Bay Bridge Tunnel is neat

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Janestown will be a must see. Original settelment and all that.2007 is a big anniversary year too. Bush Gardens for family ride park. Chesapeake:) :) Bay Bridge Tunnel is neat
Wifey is planning to stay near Bush Gardens, so the yutes can be occupied. From what Sonny says I might be MIA.

BTW, we have a Jamestown too, now the parish of St. James. Ours was settled in 1627.
________
launch box

·
Registered
256 Posts
Confederate museam in Richmond, You get with in inches of Lee's, Jackson's & Stewart's sidearms..Nothing in The USA is even close. I'd stay in The Jefferson if possible my favorite nice hotel for the cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stop at Pierce's Drive -In - Rt 60 E of W'Burg....

Good 'ol VA BBQ. You will not regret it, finger-lickin', lip smackin' GOOD!!

Grew up near there in Hampton VA, Williamsburg is a great place to visit, so much history. As another poster mentioned, check out Yorktown as well while you are there. If they are still in business Nick's Seafood Pavillion used to be one of the best seafood restaurants anywhere.

Busch Gardens is another popular attraction in Willamsburg, especially if you have kids.

I know you will have a blast,

Jim
[email protected]

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you starting in Atlanta

You need to talk the "wifey" into an overnight stopover here so us GGVGers could meet up with you guys and say hi in person. We are 30 minutes from the airport in a west direction.

There are a few in the area. PLUS you would get to meet your long lost across the pond "twin" birthday person.:eek:

RedFoxy and Rick B.:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts