Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang, A few weeks ago I posted my frustrations about a landowner in AR who canceled our trip two days before we were supposed to leave(someone bought our reservations :mad: ). Well, after some serious scrambling, we managed to find a guy in Illinois that had a cancellation for yesterday and the day before.
It was my second official waterfowl hunt, and for three of us it was the first timber hunt ever. Things worked out really well for us, as we have found a better place to go.

By 10:00 the first morning, we had taken the only duck that wanted to work our spread. Something was seriusly wrong as the ducks would circle one time and flare off. After reporting our morning to the owner via radio, we got the greenlight to go elsewhere and managed a total of nine mallards and one hooded merganser by noon (end of shooting time on the property).

Morning two was awesome from the start, we were limited out by 9:15:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Where in Illinois did you hunt?

I lived in southern and western Illinois as a younster. I have had the pleasure of gunning the Mississippi between Quincy and Hannibal,MO. with my grandfather, father and uncle. Great duck gunnin'! I did do some in Carbondale, Illinois. Buty we didn't live there very long. Great pics!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great duck huntin' area...

Yes, lots of corn. But again lots of geese/ducks and now I understand that the deer hunting is good. Have not been back there in years. I do remember that there were lots of good lookin' women. Girls when I lived there. Great area and good memories. We have traveled Tenn. extensively. That is one beautiful state! Plan to visit next year. I so enjoyed memphis and the Chatanooga area.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have some friends that hunt up near Ware, Ill. south of Carbondale. They kill L O T S of ducks. I think the club is Grassy something.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Carbondale, IL.

I swam in Grassy Lake as a kid. But there was another lake that we did lots of black crappy fishing. Any idea what the name is? It seems that the lake was some kind of resevoir or something of that nature. Been a long time since we lived there.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Crab Orchard Lake

I was wrong, it had to be Crab Orchard that i swam in and Grassy Lake that we fished so much. Got me to thinkin'. I looked at the an Illinois map and it helped set me straight. Anyways, great duck hunting area all around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts