Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home from town yesterday my son and I spotted a coyote in a pasture just ahead of us. By the time we reached the point where he crossed the road he was about 200 yrds and still on the move. Got stopped and started to get out and try a shot (forgot to take off seatbelt!),by the time I finally got him in the scope he was a good 250-300 yrds and just about to top over a hill. Had him in the scope and whistled--he stopped and looked back and I squeezed the trigger. Lost him in the scope due to recoil but my son said he took off over the hill. This coyote was in an area that joeniv and I called one in (niv shot him) about two years ago. What I'd like to know is would you have taken the shot? I hate to pass on a chance to take a coyote ,but I hate to educate them too. Thanks for reading.

Jim

·
Registered
693 Posts
next time

give the gun to Curtis and let him shoot it off the mirror!

my theory of drive by coyotes is that if they are in sight, they are in range. I don't think I've ever passed on a shot from the road - unless the coyote was not alert and moving - then I set up and tried to call them.

shooting from the road and calling are two different games to me. drive by killings are just that. sport doesn't factor in. just a coyote that needs to die... your .243 has plenty of oomph to reach 300 yards.

get up there and try to do some calling. 6" of fresh snow in Omaha - I'm tempted to go scouting around here.

-niv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.