Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new Encore Pistol in 308 to the range for its first run, to get a feel for it, and to sight in. I got the gun sighted and did some handloads tests. It sure is a beast - but a ton of fun to shoot!

I did "OK" but not great-group wise. It will kill a deer, but I'd like to be able to shrink my groups a little bit better. My biggest issue is my pistol rest. I picked up a Caldwell Pistol rest from Midway last summer. It has a rest for the butt of pistols, and of course, and front adjustable elevation rest. My Encore still moves alot when Im resting on it - I can see my heartbeats making it move - no doubt its affecting my grouping, and when I manage to keep it still as I can - it shows on paper.

What do you Encore & Contender shooters use to sight in & test your handloads when firing from a bench ? I have a bull bag that I love using for my rifles - but it is too long, and the muzzle blast from that pistol will burn a nasty hole in it - so I dont want to use that for it.

Thanks All!

P.S. I used the Talley one piece scope base and bottom ring mount - they work great! I got zero scope movement with the heavy recoil. I fired over 50 rounds, and it did not move a nary. I scoped my Encore pistol with a Weaver classic pistol scope 2.5X8 power - very pleased with it as well!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Pistol rest...

I attach my Harris short, swivel BR bipod to my XP-100R. This is in a switch bbl. XP-100 for which the large caliber is 260AI. I shoot sub minute of angle @ 100 and 200 yds. off the bench. I prefer to use a small flat square bag under the pistol grip for fine adjustments. Works good for me. MTG

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a front rest and bag, another bag under the grip. But I never could get an Encore to shoot as well as a Contender.

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
I'm no woodworker but I whittled out a 3" wide forend for my 14" Contender pistols. Then I picked up a used forend from a board member. Mine is flat like a BR stock. His was wide and flat but tapered for easy elevation adjustment. I forget who made it but the also made a rest to go with it. Maybe Greyfox will remember?. I use both on my rifle rest with 3" bag and rest the butt on the rear thumb screw of the rest. Very steady. I the field I use a Harris on my homemade forend.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I too out shoot most Deer Hunters @ 100 yards w/ my Contender from a rest

I use a front rest and bag, another bag under the grip.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
As Charlie mentioned, I do have a couple sets of forearms, grips and rests that were all handmade for target/longrange Contender/Encore shooting. They were created by Don Bower of Denver CO (I think). Don may be still living, but it is my understanding that he developed alshiemers several years ago. I was forunate to attend a long range handgun clinic that he put on in Alliance NE around 2001.

It's a hoot to shoot (and hit) a 3" angle iron, angled toward you @ 550 yds. The concept was to split the bullet on the point of the angle. While I was not able to split a bullet, my shooting partner did. I was able to consistently hit the steel and have pics to prove it. Yes, this was with a Contender chambered in 223.

Until I took up benchrest shooting, my smallest groups (in the .1's) were with a Contender 14" barrel in 223x1.85".

I don't have pics of the rest/forearm combo right now, but if this interests you contact me with a private message and we'll exchange emails and I'll get you some pics.

Rick

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info all.

My pistol forend is rubber (as is the grip) mainly for recoil reason, but I think eventually I may go custom laminate grips & forend. Sadly there are no studs, and I dont think it would work in the rubber set.

I REALLY like Tony's forends, & grips work - they look pretty damn nice. I may contact him, and see what he can make for me.

Here is a link to his page - the pistol section - nice work indeed! :

http://tonysforendsandgrips.net/4.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's a stock set I carved from a piece of oak firewood about 20 years ago. It's been on several frames and barrels.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Deep Creek Rock,

I use two wooden boxes. A small one with a sand bag for the butt and a taller one for front. with a small bull bag. about 10" long. I have a Contender 7-30 Waters12 Hunter and a 223 barrel 14". Shot bag work great for small sandbags.

Mark Schronce

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Below is a pic of the rest I used to sight in the Encore pistol - its a Caldwell Pistolero. I picked it up last Summer to sight in my 1911, and to check handloads for it. It worked great for that -as the recoil and distance is alot less.

But for the Encore - when shooting at 100yards with higher magnification on the scope, it just had to much movement when rested. For mid and close range (intial sight - in) it was Ok. The rest did move with recoil as well - which I expected it to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Contender Rest

I like the idea of a 3" forend adapter. I'm gonna try that.

What I have used in the past is a bunny-ear bag sitting atop a short piece of 2x6. I rest the forend of the pistol between the ears of the bag and rest the butt of the grip on a homemade sandbag.

Not exactly benchrest-quality but good enough for sub-moa groups at 100 yds.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
DCR,

Several have touched on what I'm using. I struggled for several years shooting my Contenders. I'm using a Caldwell front rest with a 2 1/2 front forend that Dave Dolin made me here in WV, it was the answer I was looking for and made a world of difference, I also use a bag under the grip too. When hunting a smaller bipod will work very nice.

Joe

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have found that the closer my rest is to the trigger guard the better it shoots for me anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts