Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that's what I've done the last two seasons hunting sage rats in Central Oregon. Wondering what sort of affair do other shooters use for rifle rests from passenger window? Seem to be using computer paper box with old army coat rolled up. Thinking something even like front seat baby carrier with arms might fit the need or a commercial product if it has adjustments.......oh yes, did you remember your private landowner at Christmas this year?? I like to send some city 'goodies' to those friends trying to hack out a living out on the desert fringe, I know I would enjoy if it were me.........lone ranger

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I just use a rear bag that I use for bench shooting, works fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
confession time..

Most of our prairie dog & coyote hunting is from the pickup's window. Through experience, I've learned to always know where the side-view mirrors are in relation to the target. Unfortunately, I was paying too much attention looking through my scope. Be careful & good hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rifle window rest

A real good window rest is a large sponge with 3 wire coathangers inserted in 3 equal locations thru it. Then bend the sponge horizontaly making it fit the window. Works for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A real cheap and easy one is to go to a place were they sell foam rubber and get a couple scrap peices of that dense grey foam. About 12 inches of the 3inch foam that is about 4-5 inches tall. Then cut it down the middle about 2 inches deep. Slide the cut portion over the open window glass and instant rest. I got 4 of them the last time I was in the store and paid $2.00 and he did the cutting. They are light and can be left under the seat and the big plus is the window is now my elevation adjustment.:)

Happy New Years!

Wes

·
Registered
861 Posts
Cheapest way yet.

Go to Walmart, or any other store of your choice, and buy one of those foam "Noodles" that kids play with in a swimmig pool. They are about 4' long and 3" in diameter. Cut it to the length of your window, split/cut it 1/2 way or so through the full length, and slip it over your window. Cushions the gun, stays in place, and you just raise and lower the window as needed. One "Noodle" will make several in case one wears out from use. LOL

Just in case this is copyrighted, I give all credit for this easy, simple device to Gonedawgn who showed it to me.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Noodles fills the bill

That's all we have used for 2-3 years. One "noodle" will make 4-5 rests. When they wear out just trash it and cut off another piece.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's all we have used for 2-3 years. One "noodle" will make 4-5 rests. When they wear out just trash it and cut off another piece.
Oh sure, by that cheap stuff from Wallymart. Probably 16 kids in some Asain country forced to pour that stuff into molds in 100+ degree shops just so we can shoot things out the window:D

This could be on the next Jim Zumbo show during the hunters tip of the day;)

Wes

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a sandbag from Sportsman's Warehouse, two flaps flop on the mirror and there's a saddle for the rifle... too tired to really explain this so I'll try for a pic in a day or so. Seems designed for truck mirror or window shooting, stays in place in bumpy fields.
My friends covet it- gotta watch where I leave it!! :eek:

6mmRemington

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tried foam pipe insulation, but when it didn't blow away in the wind it would only last one day. Now I just use my Carhart jacket.

It's amazing how good a rest you can get if you put your right leg up on the seat and anchor your right arm on your knee. The window roller-downer makes a great elevation adjustment too.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
buy the 'noodle'....much better,,

I tried foam pipe insulation, but when it didn't blow away in the wind it would only last one day. Now I just use my Carhart jacket.

It's amazing how good a rest you can get if you put your right leg up on the seat and anchor your right arm on your knee. The window roller-downer makes a great elevation adjustment too.

We tried pipe insulation ONE year,,not again. The noodles are MUCH tougher and tighter on the window,,,HOWEVER,,,
I and 5 other grown men walking up to the cashier in Walmart at 9 pm in the evening, each with a colorful [thankfully they had some colors other than pink] swimmy noodle in Bozeman, Montana,,,,,,,:eek: I think we scared the poor young girl at the checkout!:)
Really, the noodle is so tight on the window you don't have to tape it or anything,,,you can roll electric windows up full tight and not split it. It works EXCELLENT!!!
Someone should come out with CAMO noodles!
Off to the deer camp.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Hey Grey Fox Are YOu Reading These Post ?

Grey Fox is "The King" of drive by shooting, LOL. Got it down to a science.
Sure looking forward to the 07 PD Safari with "Tha Gang".

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yep, Don...

read 'em all. If I had no experience with this, I'd prolly try the "noodle". But having shot with the Dog Gone Good bag last year, that's all I'll be using for the forseeable.

One thing that wasn't mention though, I used one of those cushion seats for a while. It was easy to wad up and put in between the door and frame for the open door shots. It doubles on the mirror as well. It's a very good add on for the DGG bags.

Wish I could be there today.

Rick

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hehehe

We tried pipe insulation ONE year,,not again. The noodles are MUCH tougher and tighter on the window,,,HOWEVER,,,
I and 5 other grown men walking up to the cashier in Walmart at 9 pm in the evening, each with a colorful [thankfully they had some colors other than pink] swimmy noodle in Bozeman, Montana,,,,,,,:eek: I think we scared the poor young girl at the checkout!:)
Really, the noodle is so tight on the window you don't have to tape it or anything,,,you can roll electric windows up full tight and not split it. It works EXCELLENT!!!
Someone should come out with CAMO noodles!
Off to the deer camp.
That's where the grandsons come in. I send them into the store to buy the noodles....

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
At least 90% of my shooting is done from the pick-up window but I'm right-handed and shoot from the right side of the car. Over the years I have learned to aim the vehicle so all I do is rest my left hand on the wing mirror and aim the gun just like if you were using any kind of natural rest in the field. When I'm shooting slowly and have time I can sometimes rest the butt on the wondow sill but again, I shoot from the right side. Aiming the vehicle quickly and effctively is the key to my success.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts