Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was rainy and cool for southern Florida today. I left the house at 11:30 hoping most of the rain was over but it held out off and on until after 2:30. The rain has brought water levels back up to where hunting should be good again for a few more weeks. I carried my little Stevens model 240 today. I had never had it in the field. After the first three birds had jumped up just out of range I began to wish I had brought the 20ga. But once the rain blew out and the wind picked up a bit I was flushing birds inside the little .410's capabilities. All I had for ammo were 3", 11/16oz, #6 but they worked just fine and by 4:30 I had my limit and was headed back to the house. I am going to give this little .410 another workout as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Nice Shooting!

I like the small ga shotguns. I shoot a 28 ga for everything, but ducks and geese.

Snipe are tough targets, well done!!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Nice going, and w/ an "expert's gun" to boot!

My first shotgun was a .410. I did alright on pegions, rabbits, and starlings and such, but pheasants left the little gun wanting...or maybe it was just me:rolleyes: ?

After carrying a 12 ga since I was 16, I bought a 28 ga a few years back, and I never expected it to be so much fun. It is just plain death on dove, quail, chuckar, and even pheasants if they don't flush too far out!

Gotta love those little guns. They add a whole new demension to upland hunting, huh?

P.

·
Registered
243 Posts
World's largest 1/16 ounce

I've enjoyed shooting quail and doves with a 410 and 28.

The step up from 11/16 ounce of shot in the 410 to the 3/4 ounce in the 28 has to be world's largest 1/16 ounce.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I've enjoyed shooting quail and doves with a 410 and 28.

The step up from 11/16 ounce of shot in the 410 to the 3/4 ounce in the 28 has to be world's largest 1/16 ounce.

A. Weldy
Ah, true. But, that is where comparison departs... a 3/4 oz from a 28 (Federal copper plated) leaves at 1290 fps, compared to approx 1100 from a 3" .410. And, being the frustrated physisist I know you to be, you will know that the energy increases according to the square of the difference in velocity. So, the 28, tho small in size, really puts the lash to the shot column - exceeding even some 20 ga 7/8 oz loads!

My 12 ga 101 shooting 1-1/4 oz of #5s at 1330 on pheasants is all together a different gun at 50 yards from my beloved 28's 1180 fps1 oz of 6s...in spite of only being 1/4 oz more shot.

Same agrument between the 12 ga 3-1/2" loads vs. the 10 ga with approx the same package: Velocity and patern of the bigger bore for a give shot package almost always favors the bigger bore (or so it seems to me), no?

P.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Good hunt John, thanks for sharing your hunt and pics. The weekend before Christmas we grouse hunted and I took my little Winchester 42, I sure like my little .410.
Joe

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the flattery Mr. Workman

Six months ago I couldn't even spell "frustarated phisycest"---now I are one. Still not sure how to spell it.

Quote: "And, being the frustrated physisist I know you to be, you will know that the energy increases according to the square of the difference in velocity."

You might have greatly discounted the energy advantage of a 1290 pellet over an 1100 pellet if you work on "square of difference in velocity" as opposed to "difference in square of velocity".

Your 28 might never forgive you.

I think we both need a warm day in a hot dog town.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I rest my case

Six months ago I couldn't even spell "frustarated phisycest"---now I are one. Still not sure how to spell it.

Quote: "And, being the frustrated physisist I know you to be, you will know that the energy increases according to the square of the difference in velocity."

You might have greatly discounted the energy advantage of a 1290 pellet over an 1100 pellet if you work on "square of difference in velocity" as opposed to "difference in square of velocity".

Your 28 might never forgive you.

I think we both need a warm day in a hot dog town.

A. Weldy
I rest my case. You are a frustrated fizzysist! You caught my leeetly math faux pas (shoulda had more coffee :rolleyes: ). What I meant to say was something like, "...you know that energy increases at square the increase in velocity." Energy change = (V1/V2)^2 or (1290/1100)^2 = 1.375 or approx a 38% increase in pellet energy...Nothing to sneeze at!

Nice catch, Allan

P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts